Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

amex au

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

amex au

Can I be added as an AU to my friends costco amex with a fresh bk? shes had it since 08 so im thinking it will help with AAoA, however shes got about 30% util right now so would it even be worth it? Also will it cost me an HP?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: amex au

@Anonymous wrote:

Can I be added as an AU to my friends costco amex with a fresh bk? shes had it since 08 so im thinking it will help with AAoA, however shes got about 30% util right now so would it even be worth it? Also will it cost me an HP?

Highly unlikely. Amex will most likely not approve it. As an alternative to establishing tradelines to rebuild your credit profile, try a couple of suecured creditcards. The limits will be small but limit size is irrelevant. After 12 months of ontime payments on the secured cards, apply to Cap1 for an unsecured card. After 6 months or so, apply for another unsecured card ... with Cap1, Barclays, a credit union, etc.

I recommend that you drop both secured cards once you have two unsecured cards in your hands.

In time, you will have a strong enough credit profile to support yur ongoing need for new credit.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I already have a few of my own cards as you can see by my sig.... I meant if it was worth it to help boost my AAoA. And I went ahead and tried for the Amex AU last night and it said I should receive the new card in 1-2 weeks, is that just a standard message tho? Or does that mean it got approved for sure?

Message 3 of 12
Scupra
Super Contributor

If I remember correctly, I think AMEX will let you be an AU unless you burned them.

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 4 of 12
Officer737
Established Contributor

@Scupra wrote:

If I remember correctly, I think AMEX will let you be an AU unless you burned them.

That is my understanding as well. I was an AU on an ex's AMEX and there was no issue, no credit pull or anything....everything was internal. The weird part is that it did not report as an AU card but as a regular account, it may have changed since then though. 

Message 5 of 12
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@Officer737 wrote:

@Scupra wrote:

That is my understanding as well. I was an AU on an ex's AMEX and there was no issue, no credit pull or anything....everything was internal. The weird part is that it did not report as an AU card but as a regular account, it may have changed since then though. 

Did you folks have a bankruptcy discharge on your credit when you became an AU on someone's Amex? Just curious.

Message 6 of 12
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I already have a few of my own cards as you can see by my sig.... I meant if it was worth it to help boost my AAoA. And I went ahead and tried for the Amex AU last night and it said I should receive the new card in 1-2 weeks, is that just a standard message tho? Or does that mean it got approved for sure?

Sorry my bad. I don't pay attention to posters' sigs ... just the content of their posts.

I don't see it help your credit at all. You have a good base of tradelines on which to build a robust credit profile. WIth a kb on your credit, there is no magical way to speed up the process if you want the results to be long lasting.

Message 7 of 12
Officer737
Established Contributor

@ezdriver wrote:

@Officer737 wrote:

@Scupra wrote:

Did you folks have a bankruptcy discharge on your credit when you became an AU on someone's Amex? Just curious.

No neither had a BK on their report at the time. 

Message 8 of 12
Scupra
Super Contributor

@ezdriver wrote:

@Officer737 wrote:

@Scupra wrote:

Haven't personally been added as an AU. Just thinking back to what I have seen on the forums. I'm kind of tempted to have DW add me to hers just to see Smiley Very Happy

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 9 of 12
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@Scupra wrote:

Which is why they ask for SSN when adding an AU...

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.