Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

auto loan during chpt 13

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

auto loan during chpt 13

We are a year into our 5 year plan (100%) and my vw died, its in the plan...but need another vehicle, a motion was filed received the trustee letter... but cant get approved for finanacing... whats a person to do? We are a family of 7, so my husbands 5 passenger car isnt big enough for all of us... any ideas what i should do? just frusterated and unsure where we should turn....

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: auto loan during chpt 13

We prequalified through Roadloans.com and purchased through Carmax. Carmax was the only dealer that didn't throw us major shade. Most dealers wouldn't even give us the time of day. That was in 2012, but I'm pretty sure Roadloans and Carmax still work together. The Roadloans website will give you all the qualification information and documentation that you need to take to Carmax.

Be warned that you'll pay a ridiculous interest rate to a subprime lender, so it's in your best interest to buy something that will last and try to pay it off asap.
Message 2 of 3
smitty1
New Contributor

Re: auto loan during chpt 13

@Anonymous wrote:

We are a year into our 5 year plan (100%) and my vw died, its in the plan...but need another vehicle, a motion was filed received the trustee letter... but cant get approved for finanacing... whats a person to do? We are a family of 7, so my husbands 5 passenger car isnt big enough for all of us... any ideas what i should do? just frusterated and unsure where we should turn....

We just bought a new car while in our Chapter 13.  Filed the motion, received the Trustee's letter.  Took it to a large Nissan dealer, and drove off with our new car.  

We called around first, asking if they fnanced people in an active Chapter 13.  If they question you, or don't know what you are asking, then they don't.  Most larger dealerships do.  We found Dodge/Jeep, Chev, Nissan, Toyota dealers that do, the best deal we got was at the Nissan dealer.  The Trustee on our letter laid out the terms- Selling price no more than 18k, payments no more than 400. per month, Interest no more than 19%.  We paid 17k for the car, plus tax license & gap insurane.  Interest rate 12.9%, payments $397. per month.  Better than we thought, and will be with us awhile- we still have 3 years to go on our 13.  I am already wondering if we will be able to refinace to a lower rate in a year or two, while still the Chapter 13.  

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.