Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

back taxes included in chapter7

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

back taxes included in chapter7

I included past due federal and state taxes which met all guidelines to be discharged, according to my attorney, however I filed a month after discharge and they kept my federal refund, has anyone had this happen or had success getting it back?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: back taxes included in chapter7

Get in touch with your attorney right away. If your back taxes met the guidelines, then I don't see how the IRS could step in, but your attorney is the person to speak to immediately.

My concern with your statement is this:  You said you filed your tax return after Bk. Normally you would have had to have the tax return filed 2 years prior to your Bk. If you filed 2013 taxes than they would not be eligible for discharge. However, it is possible that the trustee would have taken the tax refund. Clarify with your attorney as to which taxes were discharged and which were not.

In order to discharge income tax debt it must meet certain criteria. To see the criteria, read this link below.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/bankruptcy-tax-debts-eliminating-29550.html

You might want to pull up your Bk filing and discharge file with PACER.gov so you have everything in front of you before you contact your attorney.

Message 2 of 4
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

I had a $750 federal tax debt when I filed Ch 13 in 2009.

The IRS had a "priority claim" and were on top of my list of creditors. The IRS got 100% of the balance due and were paid before anyone else... Including the trustee and my attorney.

Is anyone surprised? LOL
FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

You actually had an attorney that did NOT require a cash payment up front? Thats unusual...

Edit - just noticed you did a Ch 13.... Thats probably the diff. I know virtually all Ch 7 attorneys require up front payment.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.