Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bankruptcy & fico score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

bankruptcy & fico score

I looked through the FAQ, but I didn't see it mentioned.  Is there an estimate of how many points a Ch. 7 will damage one's FICO score?  I've looked at some of the messages on here and it seems like people are getting a 50 point jump when their bankruptcy comes off, but I've read elsewhere on the web that a Ch. 7 can take one's score down as much as 160-220 points.  When one goes through one of those credit counseling places is the hit much less score wise?  Just curious, I think that would be helpful for some of those trying to decide.  I worked for a short time for a bankruptcy attorney, watching people at one of their most difficult times took a toll on me, so I wish knew this info before.  I couldn't have passed it on, but maybe put in some literature or links that the attorney approved for the client would have been nice.

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: bankruptcy & fico score

If all your accounts update to IIB, you'll probably be betweent 540-600 coming out of BK. If you get a few tradelines going and garden, you can be 660-700 within 12-18 months. You can hit over 700 in less than 2 years if you play your cards right. I don't think there's exactly a set amount a BK hurts you, but I know you won't be able to get into the 800's until that's completely gone. As with everything, YMMV. This is what I've observed from watching others here.

Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi monster_man,

Welcome!

monster_man wrote:

I looked through the FAQ, but I didn't see it mentioned.  Is there an estimate of how many points a Ch. 7 will damage one's FICO score? 

Here's a quote from the education tab up top:

A bankruptcy will always be considered a very negative event by your FICO® score. How much of an impact it will have on your score will depend on your entire credit profile. For example, someone that had spotless credit and a very high FICO score could expect a huge drop in their score. On the other hand, someone with many negative items already listed on their credit report might only see a modest drop in their score. Another thing to note is that the more accounts included in the bankruptcy filing, the more of an impact on your score.

I've looked at some of the messages on here and it seems like people are getting a 50 point jump when their bankruptcy comes off, but I've read elsewhere on the web that a Ch. 7 can take one's score down as much as 160-220 points. 

Remember that the impact of a BK decreases as it ages.  So, a ten year old BK that is about to be "purged" off your CR, will have less of a negative impact than a brand new BK.

This is from another link from the Education tab up top:

How can I minimize the negative effect of a bankruptcy?

A bankruptcy is going to be factored into your FICO® score until it falls off of your credit report. While it may take up to ten years for a bankruptcy to fall off of your report, the impact of the bankruptcy will lessen over time.

If you plan to file a bankruptcy, here are some things you should do to make sure your creditors are accurately reporting the bankruptcy filing:

• check your credit report to ensure that accounts that were not part of the bankruptcy filing are not being reported with a bankruptcy status.
  • make sure your bankruptcy is removed as soon as it is eligible to be "purged" from your credit report.

After a bankruptcy has been filed, the sooner you begin retaining or re-establishing credit in good standing, the sooner you can expect your FICO score to rebound. A good practice is to obtain a secured credit card and continually make all of your payments on time. As time passes and the impact of the bankruptcy lessens, you might apply for a traditional credit card and also continually make all of your payments on time.

Hope that helps a little!

Message 3 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I"m in a bind.  My brother is considering filing and because I did my stint working for my friend, my brother expects that I had all the answers.  I never even considered FICO scores as part of the issue when clients showed up at the office.  These people were more concerned about getting the collection agents off the phone, or the garnishments stopped, keeping their homes, etc.  So FICO scores were the last thing on the mind.  It makes sense though to be concerned.  Thanks for the info.

Message 4 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for pointing out the education link.  I looked too quickly.  This site does have plenty of information, I will make sure to go through that section.

Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

monsterman,

That tab does have a lot of goodies - and it's great to ask questions here as well.  There's a lot of helpful folks who will chime in - so don't be shy to ask about whatever's on your mind.

I can't answer the part of your question about credit counseling services impact on scores vs. BK, so hopefully you'll get some good feedback from others.

Two things that come to mind are, first) be sure you're working with a reputable company - there's a lot of services that aren't.  And the disreputable ones can delay things tremendously.

And second, when you file BK (I assume he's looking at a CH 13 if there's a possibility he could work with a credit counseling company) there's the benefit of not continuing to have interest charged on certain types of accounts (credit cards come to mind).  Sometimes that alone makes debts more manageable.

I think Suze Orman (IIRC) states that some credit counseling companies have the ability to come up with better repayment plans or better interest rates from OC's than individuals typically can come up with on their own.

As you've no doubt witnessed, it's always wise to do a free consult with at least two BK attorneys if you are considering BK.  They will tell your brother the advantages and disadvantages, as well as if he meets the eligibility requirements.

Hope that helps a little. 

Message 6 of 25
carolina98
Contributor

I advise stop paying your bills if you're going to file because there is no benefit to paying them. I paid mine up to the day I filed and have no late payments on my credit report. I found out that, at least with TransUnion and Equifax, only the BK is reported, not the payment history. You're being penalized for filing BK, period. Paying your bills if you're filing BK won't help you at all. I found that out after the fact. Advice on this forum suggesting otherwise does not appear to be true.

My score dropped more than 100 points.

Message 7 of 25
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@carolina98 wrote:

I advise stop paying your bills if you're going to file because there is no benefit to paying them. I paid mine up to the day I filed and have no late payments on my credit report. I found out that, at least with TransUnion and Equifax, only the BK is reported, not the payment history. You're being penalized for filing BK, period. Paying your bills if you're filing BK won't help you at all. I found that out after the fact. Advice on this forum suggesting otherwise does not appear to be true.

My score dropped more than 100 points.

As always any action taken or advice given when it comes to credit management is based on a YMMV outcome. What helps one person is never a guarantee that another person will get the same results.

It appears that paying all bills before filing does help some folks but unfortunately that wasn't your experience. You saying that "Paying your bills if you're filing BK won't help at all" doesn't mean it won't work for others.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 8 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd recommend that any credit lines that can be paid off and closed are done so before filing, otherwise you chance being blacklisted by that creditor, and also having more creditors on your report showing as included in bankruptcy.

THAT is something I personally didn't think about when I filed.

I was also led to believe by my lawyer that selling my car (I owed what it was worth) and letting them repo it with BK wouldn't be much different. But it is. Having an auto loan included makes my loan rate a lot higher than my wife, who reaffirmed hers (and it reports). Since I didn't realize the difference it would make, I let them take it, allowing me to keep the car a few months longer because I loved the car. Had I known, I would've sold it to the dealership that offered to buy it for what I owed. Heck, I probably could've bought it back after I was discharged!

Message 9 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi stanggt03,

That's a pretty dang frustrating turn of events - and one that's great to share on these forums. 

We had an auto loan IIB.

It had a few 30 day lates on it from before the BK ( we had no clue how much FICO damage a late caused) - it was current at the time we filed.  We paid off the auto loan through the CH 13 BK and received title to the car.  We actually wound up paying off the car loan earlier through the BK than we would have on the original loan payment plan.

After the BK was discharged, we goodwilled the CU who carried the auto loan.  It took us 3 tries, but they finally agreed.  And we did it in person, which absolutely unnerved me - could've died.  Unfortunately in our case, as often happens, the entire credit line disappeared from our CR's - not just the lates. 

At any rate, we've gotten two auto loans since discharge and had very nice rates on both of them.  So a GW may help when an auto loan is IIB.  We lost the history, but we also have no lates or IIB's reporting on any auto loans and now get good rates (currently we're at 3.99% which isn't too bad) even with the BK itself still reporting.

I also have to note that our BK attorney was absolutely clueless on FICO scoring or rebuilding credit, or the long-term impact of BK.  And he was pretty decent - this is just stuff these guys often are not aware of.  We were lucky to find myfico and learn how to put the pieces back together.

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.