Established Member

car during chapter 13

Does anyone know if the bank lowers your payment with Chapter 13 if you are stuck with that vehicle for the 3 or 4 yr. period until its Discharged? Can you sell your car or trade it during that period?
Established Contributor

Re: car during chapter 13

Well they take what the car is worth versus what you owe. In my case I owed more than my minivan was worth. Then they include your car into your chapter 13 bankruptcy so that you are just making one payment. In my case my bankruptcy payment was MUCH less than my car payment and our liabilites were over 240,000 due to medical bills. As far as being able to sell the car....you can trade the car in for another one but it has to be approved by the trustee handling your BK case and you must show a reason why you need another car....like the engine is going out etc and then you have to tell them how much you want to spend on another car and then they will decide to approve you to buy another one. Without a release from your trustee the car dealership wont approve you. Hope this helps. Linda (discharged from a 5 yr CH 13 - 1 1/2 yrs early (yeah!!!)
Established Member

So when the trustee reafirms your car payment. Do they do it by what the car is worth not the payoff amt? So you only payback what the car is worth?
Established Contributor

Yeap....I owed somethinglike 11,000 but the van was only worth 6700 so that is what I payed in my BK. I also had a friend who bought a new car from Ford and they took her for a ride on her loan....when she filed bk they only made her pay what car was worth in BK and Ford tried to stop the deal because the car was so new but the judge told them that is what they got for taking advantage of her.
New Contributor

We had a lease on the vehicle we kept in BK and our payment stayed the same, and then we traded it in a month after our BK was discharged
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.