Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

chapter 13 discharge

tag
southside52
New Visitor

chapter 13 discharge

does anyone out there know if when you get close to a discharge if the trustee goes through all of your financials again to make sure that you haven't saved any money?  I feel so trapped by this bankruptcy....in hindsight I wish I had never done it and had tried to figure out something else.  It has been pure hell.  I don't understand why some say a Chapt 13 is better.  thanks

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
drboxing
Established Contributor

Re: chapter 13 discharge

Trustee never went through my financials or anything like that. My final payment was in May, got my disharge the end of July. The only thing I had to do was take a credit counseling course online (that held up me recieving the discharge). Once certificate was uploaded, I got my discharge. 

Message 2 of 7
TRC2k13
Regular Contributor

Same here... I made a lump sum $2000 payment in Feb to pay it off, did the online course and got my discharge in May.

At no point in my BR did they ever check my finances... I even moved cross country and my income went up 40% in 2011 and I was banking a ton of cash... they never checked my income or my bank records.  I continued to pay the same $125 a month to the trustee.

Message 3 of 7
southside52
New Visitor

thank you drboxing....feel like I can't buy a coat without letting the trustee know!

Message 4 of 7
southside52
New Visitor

Wow...you got to pay it off early and they didn't go through your financials?  I am losing my job at the end of March and was going to try to get a discharge (I have 15 mos left) but I only owe $2k like you, but frankly am afraid to do anything that will arouse any interest by the trustee, who's been described as a 'Nazi'!  thanks for your response.

Message 5 of 7
TRC2k13
Regular Contributor

@southside52 wrote:

Wow...you got to pay it off early and they didn't go through your financials?  I am losing my job at the end of March and was going to try to get a discharge (I have 15 mos left) but I only owe $2k like you, but frankly am afraid to do anything that will arouse any interest by the trustee, who's been described as a 'Nazi'!  thanks for your response.

As long as you have passed the minimum amount of time since you filed (3 or 4 years?) I don't see why they wouldn't accept an early payoff.

You said your BR 13 has been pure hell... that wasn't the case for me.  I didn't have any issues... at one point in early 2010 after my layoff I got 3 months behind on my payment and they didn't dismiss my case.  I was borrowing from Peter to pay Paul every month because my unemployment income barely covered my bills... to the point where I had no grocery and gas money.

It was hell but I made it through it.  I got a job in Seattle and moved... paid off my BR and here we are 9 months post discharge and my credit profile is complete.  I am done opening new accounts.  I'm going to continue to make my payments while these accounts age and when my BR drops off my report in early 2016 I will be golden.

Stay positive... it will get better.  By all means, if you have the option of paying it off early to get started on your rebuild... I would do it.

Message 6 of 7
southside52
New Visitor

I really want to do that but am so scared that the trustee will ask for bank statements and other docs.  I, like you, increased my income by a lot and am just trying to stay under the radar.  thanks so much for your help with this.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.