Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

chapter 7 pro se

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

chapter 7 pro se

I am going to file chapt 7 and my case seems pretty cut and dry. I printed off all the documents to file myself, as the fee is not doable right now. I can set up a payment plan but the case is not filed until the full amount is paid off. I just want to get the filing started so I can get this behind me. I ran through the documents multiple times and spoke with different attorneys that said I qualify for chapt 7 and my case is clear cut. wtbs, I spoke to an attorney who said that if there is a mistake and I hire an attorney to correct it;  It will show on my report that I filed for bankruptcy twice. This made me apprehensive, and thinking I should do the 7 month payment plan. but going over the documents multiple times it was pretty simple. Anyone with experience filing pro se ? 

Also,  I have read some of the forums  and those filing said that they had to wait after 90 days of no credit card use to file. When I spoke with attorneys they didnt mention this. On the documentation it was asking for a certain amount of spending. I have been paying for groceries with one of my credit cards nothing over 200 a month on the card. But again I have been using the card. Do you guys see this as being a problem with the trustee?

ANY advice/suggestions are appreciated and thanks in advance. 

2 REPLIES 2
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: chapter 7 pro se

Well, first of all MyFico forum is not for seeking legal advice, and free advice - especially free legal advice - is usually worth what it cost.

I would strongly urge you to not file BK pro se, bankruptcy is not "straight forward", and you're probably putting tens of thousands of debt at risk. If you make a mistake and your BK is dismissed, besides having 2 BKs on your credit report, the court can make you wait up to 180 days to refile. As to use of a credit card within 90 days of filing, creditors can file an appeal to have those amounts excluded from BK. Usually that's only for "extravagant" purchases or cash advances or cash equivalent purchases like gift cards. In my 2010 BK7 my attorney made me wait 90 days to file with no use of CCs, but I had been using convenience checks from CCs to make the minimum payment on other CCs, foolishly trying to stall the inevitable.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: chapter 7 pro se

Thank you for your response.

I went and spoke with another lawyer yesterday. Paid the $250 consultation fee and took all of my documents for filing chapter 7. I showed him everything he requested and we discussed payments. He’s giving me 50% off since I had already did the paperwork. Said he was impressed by the organization and accuracy. I’m Making the final payment of $1500 today and looking forward to getting a peace of mind and putting this behind me.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.