Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

chexsystem ruining my life!

tag
amber78
Contributor

chexsystem ruining my life!

I filed for Chapter 7 this past year and I was discharged in August 2014.  I did have a baddy in chexsystem from a Credit Union as I bounced a check and then couldnt pay the balance. That was included in my bk filing.
I sent a letter to ChexSystem with my bk info and they deleted the baddy.  I got a report from ChexSystem and I see nothing reporting on it, besides it is reporting that I filed for BK.

Well I am with USAA currently for a bank, as my ex-husband was military.  But I am to remarry soon and USAA told me that I will no longer be able to use them once I marry.  I am attempting to get a new credit union or bank with no such luck.

I have tried multiple banks and credit unions and I am being denied, with "chexsystems" as the cause.  I did order another report from them after the denial and still cannot see what the heck it is reporting! 

I am at a loss!!!

Soon I will not have a bank and I wouldnt be able to get a new one!  How can they "starve me out" like this?  

How do I fix this??!!

PAST SCORES: Experian FAKO
511 (12/01/13), 591E(05/02/14), 628 (05/07/2014)
CURRENT SCORE: 658 (08/15/2014)
Filed CH7 04/2014 & Discharged 08/2014
Goal Score: 720
In my wallet: CapitalOne Plat. $700 (07/2014), Capitalone QuickSilver $2,000 (09/2014)
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: chexsystem ruining my life!

Have you contacted chexsystem and offered them a Pay to Delete? A Pay to Delete is when you agree to pay them the amount they agree to accept in return for deleting that Collections/baddie from your credit report. That's assuming you can afford to pay that now. And if they agree, get it in writing (amount they will accept and their promise to delete on receipt of payment) before you send them anything.

Message 2 of 22
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@amber78 wrote:

Soon I will not have a bank and I wouldnt be able to get a new one!  How can they "starve me out" like this?  

How do I fix this??!!

I'd start by paying off the bad check... offering a PFD.

That's the thing about credit unions... they never forget.

FICO8 current as of : 4-12-24 EQ: 724 TU: 702 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 3 of 22
amber78
Contributor

But that debt was included on my bankruptcy. How can every single bank and credit union blackball me over this?!?
PAST SCORES: Experian FAKO
511 (12/01/13), 591E(05/02/14), 628 (05/07/2014)
CURRENT SCORE: 658 (08/15/2014)
Filed CH7 04/2014 & Discharged 08/2014
Goal Score: 720
In my wallet: CapitalOne Plat. $700 (07/2014), Capitalone QuickSilver $2,000 (09/2014)
Message 4 of 22
jkjklkjkl
Contributor

I wonder if they're actually getting a report from EWS-Early Warning System, as opposed to Chex.  I would suggest contacting EWS, by phone, and asking if there's anything that they're reporting.

Message 5 of 22
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Yes, you have no legal obligation to pay the debt, it was discharged in BK. But sorry, banks & CUs don't like bad check writers and have long memories. I don't mean that in a bad way toward you, "stuff" happens.(First used a 4 letter word & the forum software bleeped it out) But unfortunately banks & CU avoid anyone with a history of ever haven written a bad check. Your easist solution is to offer a Pay to Delete and get this unfortunate situation behind you.

All kinds of things can get you in trouble opening a new bank/CU account. My company transferred me to Las Vegas in 1999. In a scouting trip for an apartment I rented a mail box at the UPS store. Then I tried to open a Wells Fargo checking account using that PO box address & was rejected just because they had a report from some company that the address had been used by someone who once wrote a bad check. Had nothing to do with me, but they wouldn't open an account until I used an apartment address and brought in a rental agreement. Because I had tried to use that black listed mailbox address I already had a black mark with them & they now required the proof of rental agreement. I guess I should have just considered myself lucky that no previous renter of that apartment had ever written a bad check or I would have banned for life from Wells Fargo, lol.

Message 6 of 22
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@amber78 wrote:
But that debt was included on my bankruptcy. How can every single bank and credit union blackball me over this?!?

Like I said... they never forget.

I had a friend include his CU in his BK7 years ago... and even though his CC debt with them was discharged he was blacklisted from ever opening another account with them until he paid back the debt.

He didn't have to pay back the debt but he would never get back in the door with them unless he did.  It's a common practice with CU's... banks to a lesser degree.  Not sure how it applies to bad checks though... I'm mainly talking about loan/CC accounts.  Either way though your situation isn't surprising. 

FICO8 current as of : 4-12-24 EQ: 724 TU: 702 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 7 of 22
jkjklkjkl
Contributor

The OP isn't trying, specifically, to get back into the credit union she burned, she's just trying to open an account in general, so paying the old debt won't make a difference.  If the balance is still being report by Chex, then that's a problem.  However, I truly feel the problem is that the baddie is being reported by EWS.

Message 8 of 22
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

"If the balance is still being report by Chex, then that's a problem.  However, I truly feel the problem is that the baddie is being reported by EWS."

- Certainly worth a call & see what they can tell her. I'd never heard of them & Goggled & am on their website. # to call is 800-325-7775, 8-5 AZ time (currently same a Pacific time, no daylight savings time in AZ).

Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Somewhere in my memory it seems to me the attorney that handled my BK7 explained that I did not owe any matters approved in the BK and that legally I could not show any favoritism on paying. Also that by law I could not pay back any of the BK debt. Something to be potentially aware of.
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.