cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*corrected fees** What are you paying your BK Attorney?

tag
Comet21
Regular Contributor

Re: *corrected fees** What are you paying your BK Attorney?

$2500 Ch7 in TX

Starting Score: TU 477 EQ 533 BK 1/27/2012
Current Score: EX 702 TU 681 EQ 652 1/10/2014
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 16
missmama
Contributor

@missmama wrote:

I went for a consult with the Attorney others I know have used. He wants 800 down, before he will tell you if you are a chpt 7 or 13. His billing is:

Chapter 7 -- 2,000.00 Legal fees, 306.00 filing fee, 100.00 credit counseling (required class by my state)

Chapter 13 -- 3086.00 Legal fees, 281.00 filing fee, 100.00 credit counseling (required class by my state)

what is the average cost?

**corrected amounts, I was off a lot**

I went to another one, it is 2500.00 (2000.00 his fee, 500.00 filing) and 100.00 class. He also gets 36.00/month that comes from your chap 13 payments.

Message 12 of 16
wvgirl_sunshine
Established Member

I live in Ohio and filed in West Virginia....We had to come up with 2500.00 to pay the lawyer, which included the  filing fee....we paid 25.00 each for both of us to take the credit counseling course...i believe it was Black Hills....and we are paying a total of 6,115.00  through the chapter 13 plan to our lawyer....seems a little excessive to me...we have 2 more payments before we meet our plan base and hopefully get a discharge.....

@missmama wrote:

I went for a consult with the Attorney others I know have used. He wants 800 down, before he will tell you if you are a chpt 7 or 13. His billing is:

Chapter 7 -- 2,000.00 Legal fees, 306.00 filing fee, 100.00 credit counseling (required class by my state)

Chapter 13 -- 3086.00 Legal fees, 281.00 filing fee, 100.00 credit counseling (required class by my state)

what is the average cost?

**corrected amounts, I was off a lot**

Never Look Down on Anyone Unless You are Helping Them Up
Message 13 of 16
talmania

I think I've been screwed....I've paid approximately 13k in attorney fees for a chapter 13.  Making my final payment this month (39 months out of 60).  Moral of the story is don't talk to your attorney, don't email don't call etc.  I was given an estimate of 2750.00 but due to complexity and not following my own advice above I have paid dearly.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 14 of 16
missmama
Contributor

@talmania wrote:

I think I've been screwed....I've paid approximately 13k in attorney fees for a chapter 13.  Making my final payment this month (39 months out of 60).  Moral of the story is don't talk to your attorney, don't email don't call etc.  I was given an estimate of 2750.00 but due to complexity and not following my own advice above I have paid dearly.  Smiley Very Happy

HOLY COW!!! I will be sure to ask if he charges fees for questions!! Thanks for the heads up!!

Message 15 of 16
wvgirl_sunshine
Established Member

talmania...13k is way too much to have paid an attorney.  we paid 2,500.00 the day we filed, and 6,115.00 through the plan,  I believe 94.00 a mth..also, we have visited our lawyer several times with questions that we had, and walked out without paying another cent..I don't understand how you are getting discharged without going the whole 60 mths..we were told we had to go at least 5 yrs.  it has turned out to be 5 yrs 8 mths..  I guess every lawyer, every state is different.  If we could have done this on our own, we would have.  Hopefully our final payment will be in January.....I hope from here on out, all goes well with you..

Never Look Down on Anyone Unless You are Helping Them Up
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.