Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit card offer while in bankruptcy

tag
pagz311
Established Member

credit card offer while in bankruptcy

My 341 meeting was Jan 20th so I won't be discharge until late March.  I get lots of the auto financing offers in the mail, but yesterday I got a Capital One card offer for $1500.  I am not burning them in bankruptcy but had an account I closed in good standing a couple years ago. 

Living on cash only is an adjustment and a little stressful because I don't have an emergency reserve yet built up.  After discharge I was going to try Capital One to get something for piece of mind and to rebuild.

My question is this something I should try to do now or wait.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: credit card offer while in bankruptcy

I always recommend to not obtain any credit until you are discharged. Late March is not far away, there is no reason to rush it.

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

The problem is that untili you receive a discharge and your case is closed, there's a chance that it could get dismissed, converted to CH13, etc. If dismissed, you'll owe all your creditors as if you never filed. Your new creditor would be thrown in the pile with the others, potentially taking a loss if you filed again. So you're still a risk to new lenders until, at minimum, you obtain the discharge. Some banks working with car dealers are willing to take this risk, albeit at high interest rates, because they're secured lenders (and as such, have more protection). 

You could move forward with an unsecured card in bankruptcy -- I did (it wasn't Capital One). But know there's a chance the lender may close the account afterward due to the active bankruptcy. If that happens and you apply for another card, you'd have yet another inquiry, and another new account -- futher lowering your average age of accounts. 

It's also possible that your credit card offer was prepared before Cap1 knew about your bankruptcy filing. I'm not sure if Capital One actively markets tho those currently in bankruptcy. Maybe someone else knows. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Message 3 of 6
smitty1
New Contributor

For Capital One-

Look at the disclosures & terms and conditions on the application:

I understand that I am not eligible for this offer if:

• I have a non-discharged bankruptcy (one that is still unresolved).
Message 4 of 6
pagz311
Established Member

thanks.  you all make good points.  I will wait.

Message 5 of 6
Scupra
Super Contributor

Better to be safe than sorry! D/C will come before you know it Smiley Happy
Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.