cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

done with CH7, got a captail one card.. lawyer messed up. now what?

tag
amber78
Contributor

done with CH7, got a captail one card.. lawyer messed up. now what?

I am/was in the process of completing my Chapter 7 and all the time working to correct errors on my credit report. I have a carloan that I did a pass through on, a student loan in deferement.. thats about it. Car is still reporting payments.  I have two mortgages that were included.. and they will be going into foreclosure soon (my ex-husband refuses to sell or do anything with them so there they sit, but thats another story)

According to USAA Experian Watch, Experian is now 628 and the other two are 638.  I did check Equifax today as a free 7 day trial and they are reporting a 530. Credit Karma  is reporting a 664..so Im not sure what to believe.

Rebuilding my credit and so I called my lawyer and asked when everything would be completed. He told me it was all complete and approved and I can go ahead and get started on my “fresh start”.  I applied for a Capital One Card and after I verified my income they approved my for  a $700 Platinum Credit Card non-secured. They said as long as I make one charge and pay things on time they will raise my credit limit in a few months.  I was overjoyed!  As I wanted to be sure I made one purchase, and to see if it would get it on my credit report faster, I made an online purchase for $50

Anyways, right after that my lawyer calls me back and tells me he has me mixed up with ANOTHER client and my objection discharge is due August 5th. CRAP!  .  Anyways, confused I applied for a BarClay Apple Card.. please don’t ask me WHY.. I guess I was thinking I didn’t believe my lawyer and maybe I should try again… but luck ran out because I was denied.

Now Im freaked out! Do I just crossed my fingers and hope that the objection date comes and goes with out incident?  I don’t know how this all works.. am I in trouble? I still don’t understand  how I was even approved.

What are my next steps to get out of this mess and to get my credit on the up?

Just as a side note, I bank with USAA only. I went to a local credit and they denied me memberships due to check system.  I ordered and looked at my checks system and there is nOTHING in there besides notice of the BK.. I called the Credit Union and they couldn’t give me an answer and told me they don’t typically bar people just because of a BK.. so Im also unsure if I go into the Credit Union and fight their decision? Or I go to another Credit Union? Or?? Im in WI

PAST SCORES: Experian FAKO
511 (12/01/13), 591E(05/02/14), 628 (05/07/2014)
CURRENT SCORE: 658 (08/15/2014)
Filed CH7 04/2014 & Discharged 08/2014
Goal Score: 720
In my wallet: CapitalOne Plat. $700 (07/2014), Capitalone QuickSilver $2,000 (09/2014)
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: done with CH7, got a captail one card.. lawyer messed up. now what?

You sit on what you now have and do not apply for any other credit until your discharge has been received. This just shows that having legal counsel does not guarantee that mistakes won't happen. If it becomes and issue with the trustee, just state what happend.

My attorney told me to go ahead with a car purchase one month before filing ch7. The trustee was livid when I told him that I had checked with my attorney and was told to go ahead with the purchase. The trustee reamed the attorney in front of everyone sitting in the courtroom ... and I almost lost my car.

Message 2 of 6
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Sounds like you weren't approved for the CU because you don't have a discharge yet for your Bk.

Applying for credit during the middle of your Bk is a no-no.

As EZ said - get your discharge first before you do anything else. I really don't understand the rush to rebuild when you haven't finished the Bk yet. It takes a minimum of 90 to 120 days from filing to discharge on a simple Ch 7.  Fixing the tradelines on your credit report prior to the discharge could very well end up a waste of time because the creditors can change the reporting. A good rule of thumb is to get your discharge (in hand), then wait 30 days to see what the creditors report on your credit reports. Then go to www.annualcreditreport.com to pull all three of your free reports and correct the items that need correction.

Then follow the thread ideas to get your score to 700 (the thread posted by Soulmaster). 

Message 3 of 6
Taoron
Frequent Contributor

After you get your discharge papers, I recommend faxing this letter, along with your discharge papers, to Chexsystems.  They will remove anything pre-bk, according to other posts I've seen here.  I faxed in information last week, and am hoping they clear it up by the time I get my recently approved Credit One card (per post-bk 24 months to 700 guide in this forum) so that I can apply for an account at Abri CU in Illinois.

Here's a sample letter, hopefully it's helpful.

[Date]

ChexSystems, Inc.
7805 Hudson Road, Suite 100
Woodbury, MN 55125
Fax: (602) 659-2197

To Whom It May Concern:

My bank has informed me that there is negative information reported by [Credit Union that Declined] included in the file Chexsystems maintains under SSN: [SSN] / Consumer ID: [CID]. Upon ordering a copy of the report, I see an entries for various banks I have had in the past. ([List items in report].)

I filed for bankruptcy chapter 7 on [date], and had it discharged on [date].

Please validate this information with the attached bankruptcy discharge papers. I am requesting the removal of these items per your policy, please. Would you also please provide me an updated copy of my Chexsystems report showing removal of said items. Thank you!

My contact information is as follows:

[Your Name]
SSN: [Your SSN]

[Your Address]

[Your City] [Your State], [Your Zip]

Sincerely,

[Your Name]

Message 4 of 6
amber78
Contributor

Thanks for all the tips! 
The only reason I attempted the CU is because once I filed BK USAA has not been friendly and I feared they were going to pull all my accounts so I wanted to have another bank/CU lined up.

I guess Ill just play the waiting game now.. FEW MORE DAYS!

@Taoron wrote:

After you get your discharge papers, I recommend faxing this letter, along with your discharge papers, to Chexsystems.  They will remove anything pre-bk, according to other posts I've seen here.  I faxed in information last week, and am hoping they clear it up by the time I get my recently approved Credit One card (per post-bk 24 months to 700 guide in this forum) so that I can apply for an account at Abri CU in Illinois.

Here's a sample letter, hopefully it's helpful.

[Date]

ChexSystems, Inc.
7805 Hudson Road, Suite 100
Woodbury, MN 55125
Fax: (602) 659-2197

To Whom It May Concern:

My bank has informed me that there is negative information reported by [Credit Union that Declined] included in the file Chexsystems maintains under SSN: [SSN] / Consumer ID: [CID]. Upon ordering a copy of the report, I see an entries for various banks I have had in the past. ([List items in report].)

I filed for bankruptcy chapter 7 on [date], and had it discharged on [date].

Please validate this information with the attached bankruptcy discharge papers. I am requesting the removal of these items per your policy, please. Would you also please provide me an updated copy of my Chexsystems report showing removal of said items. Thank you!

My contact information is as follows:

[Your Name]
SSN: [Your SSN]

[Your Address]

[Your City] [Your State], [Your Zip]

Sincerely,

[Your Name]

PAST SCORES: Experian FAKO
511 (12/01/13), 591E(05/02/14), 628 (05/07/2014)
CURRENT SCORE: 658 (08/15/2014)
Filed CH7 04/2014 & Discharged 08/2014
Goal Score: 720
In my wallet: CapitalOne Plat. $700 (07/2014), Capitalone QuickSilver $2,000 (09/2014)
Message 5 of 6
approvedbyme
Valued Member

to your situation regarding ChexSystem: I filed Ch. 7 on June 3rd 2014. After reading info from this site/forum, I faxed chexSystem a copy of my Matrix and Bankruptcy info and just called them TODAY to see if it was received, and the gentleman told me yes it was received and I should be getting a copy of my cleareance in a few days. I haven't discharged as of yet, my date pending is Sept, 4th of this year. I filed PRO' SE...No legal advice and your lawyer should have gone over the terms with you with a fine tooth comb...

Filed Ch.7 6/3/2014 Meeting of Creditors 7/8/2014
Discharge date:9/15/2014 Credit Scores Currently as of 9/24/2014
Experian 655
Eqifax:664
Transunion: 664 all lender pulled Oct. 2014

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.