Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

filed Ch7 yesterday

tag
grassfeeder
Frequent Contributor

filed Ch7 yesterday

So, since I filed my chapter 7 yesterday......I'm obviously really nervous leading up to the trustee meeting.

Anything I can do pre-discharge to start prepping myself for recovery?  Obviously I won't be applying for credit or anything of that nature to post discharge but just sitting here waiting will drive me crazy.....I want to hit the ground running...

Any insight?

Fico 8 Scores 5/1/22 :
799 EQ | 793 TU | 809 EX
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Comet21
Regular Contributor

Re: filed Ch7 yesterday

If you just filed in a month or so, all of your accounts should show IIB. I would make sure that has taken place. After your trustee meeting I would do the Capital One Pre-Approval process. It does not affect your score. If it says you are Pre-Approved for an offer, NOT "We could not find your offer , but these cards may interest you", then apply and you should be approved. If you do not get pre approved by Capital One, then I would check Credit One or First Premier but not both. It is like paying for credit but you have to start somewhere.

Starting Score: TU 477 EQ 533 BK 1/27/2012
Current Score: EX 702 TU 681 EQ 652 1/10/2014
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 4
MaryJane197
Regular Contributor

its a scarey thing going through BK. I got discharged in may of this year. I had never filed before but I had a good lawyer who walked me through everything. I got a car loan 2 days after my discharge. got a.pretty reasonable rate on my car loan. I have 2 small personal loans and I just got approved for a Capital one secured card. waiting on them to mail it to me. I'm slowly building my credit back up. I have two major bad things keeping my scores down, that couldn't be filed in my BK. but the best advise I can give is try to be patient and build your credit back up wisely. I've been reading these forums here since 09 and they are filled with really valuable advise.
07/14/20:-TransUnion: 528 / Equifax: 521, / Experian: 666
Filed BK 01/24/2020
Message 3 of 4
sewmuchdebt
Regular Contributor

i filed for ch7 for the first time in 8/09. everything about it scared me. especially the trustee meeting. i had nightmares and so much anxiety leading all the way up to the day of the meeting. it turned out to not be as bad as i had imagined. i knew i wanted to hit the ground running with rebuilding my credit because it was in the toilet. i heard of some people apping for cards before discharge but i absolutely did not want to give the trustee a reason not to close out my case, so i waited.

as soon as i got my discharge papers, i apped for (2) cards. orchard and credit one. i also opted out because i didn't want any junk mail about fresh start. and i froze all 3 credit reports. i had the bad experience of a collection agency hitting my credit reports with hard pulls and accounts like i was applying to them for credit.(bk ultimately took care of that problem) i froze and unfroze my reports as needed over that last couple of years and got scorewatch and credit monitoring so i could constantly check my reports for anything and everything. i wanted to become a homeowner again so i wanted to prepare myself ahead of time. hope that helps!

Starting Score: EQ 505 jul09
Current Score: EQ 702 TU 693 EX 692 apr12
Goal Score: 700+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.