Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

general question regarding chap 7

tag
bbrentlinger
Regular Contributor

general question regarding chap 7

Can only one spouse file chapter 7 if all the debt is in the one spouse's name?

Starting Score: EQ593 EX 633 TU 649
Current Score: EQ 593 EX 633 TU 649
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

Re: general question regarding chap 7

Yes, sort of.

Both incomes count when you're trying to qualify for a CH7 (there are maximum income limits) regardless of who's actually doing the filing.

Also, in community property states, the original creditor may have the right to attach the debt to the spouse.  In other words, it may be considered a "marital debt".  However, even in community property states, this rarely happens.  

Best to talk to a few BK attorneys to find out your state specific rules/income limits.

-SM

I am not an attorney and none of what I write should be construed as legal advice. For legal advice please consult an attorney.

Starting Score: ~470 preBK(8/2010)
Current Scores as of Late January 2016 All 700+. Last CR pull from a lender(housing) was mid-score 749.
Goal Score: 700+ - reached.
Message 2 of 7
bbrentlinger
Regular Contributor

I am wondering specifically about Nebraska aand it is all medical debt under her name.  probably $20k.  is it better to get a clean slate or work through the debt?  I am fairly certain we can pass the means test.  We worked so hard to get through our chapter 13 and rebuilt my credit but hers is still pretty destroyed.  whats the best course of action?

Message 3 of 7
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

Settle it!

Medical debt will settle for 10-30¢ on the dollar.  So you really have somewhere between $2000 and $7000 in debt.

I don't know anything about Nebraska's laws; but I don't think you should file on this anway.

-SM

I am not an attorney and none of what I write should be construed as legal advice. For legal advice please consult an attorney.

Current Scores as of Late January 2016 All 700+. Last CR pull from a lender(housing) was mid-score 749.
Message 4 of 7
bbrentlinger
Regular Contributor

We talked a lot about this and are going to pay it off.  

Message 5 of 7
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

Don't pay it off in full, that would just be a waste of money (especially if it's already delinquent).  Settle it.

-SM

Message 6 of 7
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@bbrentlinger wrote:
Can only one spouse file chapter 7 if all the debt is in the one spouse's name?

Yes.

That said, there may be issues related to creditors going after the spouse for any debt in which they shared responsibility. I included my wife in my own Ch 7 because she shared responsibility for IRS debt.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.