Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help please

tag
RnJ
Contributor

Re: help please

@SoulMaster wrote:

RnJ - We have seriously differing opinons.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, and I wanted Gerald56 to get the contrasting opinion.

I don't know if you've ever filed BK in your life, but the sad truth is that 30% of BK13 filers are BK7's that jumped the gun on thier rebuilds and have to file a BK13 within 8 years of the original 7.  (http://news.uscourts.gov/2012-report-shows-more-repeat-bankruptcy-filers)  This number is climbing and is a HORRIBLE statistic.  The fact is that Gerald's wife doesn't need to "use her cards" wisley, she needs to use her credit wisely.  Also, a BK rebuild is very different than a bad-credit rebuild where there's alot of room for store cards and secured cards.

It's It's disingenuous to suggest that quote from the link you posted was the result of any "jumping the gun" on rebuilding credit, least of all, in this context, by credit cards.  If you read the actual report file, there is nothing that states why people had prior filings before their second BK beyond property and business transactions, etc.  Likewise, by law, one is allowed to file again after 8 years - not that it should be used as an "excuse" to do so, but rather that it is allowed. 

Message 11 of 17
RnJ
Contributor

Ugghh, sorry about the quote context - text in red is my reply to your quote.

Message 12 of 17
Gerald56
New Contributor

4 of the cards as far as i'm concerned are worthless..$250 each and we will probably never use them. if she killed them now before they start to age i would think that would be a good thing.. i'm not sure what she should do.. since she has no real credit history it seems having all those cards screw that up

Message 13 of 17
TRC2k13
Regular Contributor

@Gerald56 wrote:

4 of the cards as far as i'm concerned are worthless..$250 each and we will probably never use them. if she killed them now before they start to age i would think that would be a good thing.. i'm not sure what she should do.. since she has no real credit history it seems having all those cards screw that up

I'll say it again...

For the love of god don't cancel them... she'll need them to restablish her credit.  The damage to her report with the inquiries and new accounts is already done.

I did the EXACT same thing after my discharge in May... See all the accounts in my sig?  They were all opened from May-December 2013 with the last one ($7k Visa) being the icing on the cake.

I met my goal of setting myself up with a nice rebuild profile in 7 months... now I sit back and coast to higher scores as everything ages...

My scores took a hit too... but they'll rebound.

Message 14 of 17
RnJ
Contributor

@Gerald56 wrote:

If she doesn't use the 4 cards at all within around a year, the issuer will close them anyway.  Then, she could possibly have the notation "closed by grantor" on her reports.  Whether that notation matters or not is subjective, have to take into account her overall profile.  No credit, no TL's, no length of credit history and a BK derogatory, she can't apply for much of anything, so closing those accounts only takes her backwards.

You're not really getting the fact that the damage is already done.  She has new credit now, store cards or not, it's still new and available credit.  It's not a bad number of store cards as long as she does not apply for more store cards

Take her to your local credit union (or even check with your local bank) - look into a secured card, or even a joint card for both of you - those lenders can tell you if she can qualify, and for which product if she is qualified - this may or may not be guaranteed, you won't know until you ask. 

Put her on any good card of your own as authorized user as long as you keep that card in good standing, always PIF and keep utility low.  If you have no good cards of your own, or your own credit is not pristine, do not put her as authorized user, since yours will affect hers and vice versa.

With regular (or even occasional) use of the store cards, with a secured card or joint card, in 6 months, her scores will improve and she will be in better shape to apply for the next tier of credit cards - but I would suggest only applying for one at that time, depending on her evaluating her reports and scores prior.

If you have stable, good income, and you share a deposit account, some cc issuers allow HHI on applications (Chase, Discover, Citi).  Do NOT use this option/do not apply unless or until your combined income can support a prime card and both your reports are in good shape with good scores - this means possibly months or a year or more of good credit use prior to applying for those prime cards.

Her credit can and will improve, but no more applying for store cards - at least use the current store cards to build her score, lay low for six months, evaluate her credit reports and scores and see where she's at in that point in time.

Message 15 of 17
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

RnJ - 

I don't know if you saw it, but I pm'd you.

-SM

I am not an attorney and none of what I write should be construed as legal advice. For legal advice please consult an attorney.

Starting Score: ~470 preBK(8/2010)
Current Scores as of Late January 2016 All 700+. Last CR pull from a lender(housing) was mid-score 749.
Goal Score: 700+ - reached.
Message 16 of 17
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

For what its worth, I'm rebuilding my credit with the following:

First Progress - two secured Visa credit cards with $300 each.

CreditOne - an unsecured Visa with $700 cl

Vystar Credit Union - one secured Visa with $1,000; one unsecured Visa with $500 cl; one secured loan $1,000 for 12 months; one auto loan [just refinanced my auto]

My ch7 discharge was in April 2013. I'm buying a new construction home now ... to be finished in June.

Your mileage may vary....

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.