cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i filed ch 7 and just called credit card company to check on available balance, etc

tag
BeatingtheSystem
Valued Member

i filed ch 7 and just called credit card company to check on available balance, etc

ch 7 filed wednesday this week...the credit card i called about has always been paid on time, no lates whatsoever...I told them i was going to pay $1470 balance off moving forward via $500 monthly payments in the consecutive months to folllow...they said it didn't matter....they closed my account....kind of confusing why they'd not try to at least recoup the cost of the balance due

any siilar situtatuions by others....is this to be expected for all cards?

11/3/17: EQ-542, TU-516, EX-532
9/10/17: EQ-539, TU-512, EX-553
8/23/17: EQ-587, TU-565, EX-580
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
BeatingtheSystem
Valued Member

i filed bankruptcy this past week...

should i pay minimum payments due until meeting of the creditors?

11/3/17: EQ-542, TU-516, EX-532
9/10/17: EQ-539, TU-512, EX-553
8/23/17: EQ-587, TU-565, EX-580
Message 2 of 15
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: i filed ch 7 and just called credit card company to check on available balance, etc

I believe that many cards will close your account once they get wind of you filing bk7 regardless if you offer to pay them which im not sure you are supposed to do if you filed chapter 7. I know when i started the process Amex were one of the first to close my accounts and i had never been late or missed a payment
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: i filed bankruptcy this past week...

I'm sure more experienced people will answer this but I was told by my lawyer not to make any payments during my bankruptcy.
Message 4 of 15
camniamom
Established Member

No, you should cease paying your bills. By filing bankruptcy, you are telling the court that you don't have enough money to pay your debts. You lawyer should have mentioned that to you.

Starting scores: EX: 498 TU: 514 EQ: 521
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: i filed ch 7 and just called credit card company to check on available balance, etc

You cannot pay a creditor after filing Chapter 7. Well, you can technically, but you are not supposed to. Your attorney should have gone over this with you. 

And they cannot legally try to recoup anything from you.

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have any secured or unsecured debt you plan to reaffirm and/or kepe current, it may make sense to make payments on those accounts. Otherwise... no, you typically stop making payments the moment you know you will be discharing them in bankruptcy (1+ month before filing).

Message 7 of 15
shadanat
Frequent Contributor

If you pay a creditor, your trustee can lol at that as preferential treatment and demand the money back. You could also get your case dismissed. Put the money in a savings account and build an emergency fund
Message 8 of 15
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

It doesnt matter what the balances are......Do not pay anything at all to anyone. You may have just sabatoged your own BK. You filed a 7 not a 13. 7 is liquadation of all assests, even in a no-assest case. The trustee might demand the money back from you or the creditor and disperse it to others.
You do not have to pay anyone unless you're reaffirming like a car or house, or you're in a CH13 case, which you're not.

Dont call your creditors and offer to pay them. Thats something you should have thought about doing long before you filed a BK anyways. Thats the whole purpose of a BK, to rid yourself from those debts that you couldn't possibly afford to pay, and which would cause you undo hardship.

Your acts will be closed regardless once they get wind of the BK, and it will reflect on your reports. Im super surprised your BK attorney didn't tell you these things.

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

C'mon now the poster goes by Beating the System...what'd you expect 😂😂😂
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.