Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

improving my credit after bk..

tag
mlew2433
Established Member

improving my credit after bk..

Hi guys, some questions about how to keep improving my credit after a bk a few months back.  I followed the advice here on the forum and my credit went from 580 (right after ch7 in June 2014) to 660 now.  Basically, got a very small secured loan from my credit union, opened a Creditone non secured credit card and pay the small balance every month.  I am also an authorized user on a credit card (from a family member) that has very good payment history and has been opened for a relatively long time.  So I think I am making progress fairly quick to a better credit score.  I have 3 accounts total (including the one I am only an authorized user but shows up and helps my credit score).  Question is:  What else could I do to keep improving my credit scores?  Open another credit card or get another small loan or would this hurt my credit?

Also, in the near future I will need a car for my daughter.  Would getting a car loan help a lot?  Some?  None?  Don’t want/need (or can afford) a large monthly car payment, so was thinking getting a very small car loan and pay the rest cash (talking about an old used car here about $5000).  I know several large dealerships and online companies will offer loans after a BK, but these loans are usually for newer cars with low miles and about $15K and higher, which equals to a high monthly payment with the sort of interest rates I can get after a bk.  So I am looking more for a $3000 or so car loan (in addition to some cash).  I know my credit union would do it if I didn’t have the bk so recent (they said 2 years after bk for a car or house loan).  Does anyone know of a company that would loan a small amount, even if only for 36 months, for an older car after a bk?  I thought this would help build credit without having to take on a large loan with high interest rates.  Or, any other ideas are welcome!  Thank you much,

Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.