Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

keep chase through bk

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

keep chase through bk

Hello,

I'm gonna be filing for bankruptcy here soon.

I've got 3 chase cards. total balances are ~$7000. I'm doing BK7 and I want to know if there's a way i can keep those cards and not include them in the BK. I'd like to keep them open and not get on the blacklist because they have been the best bank i've ever used. So is there a way to exclude them from BK, and even if i do, will they see the BK on my report and close me down anyways? 

how will this affect my ability to get back in with them post BK?

Thanks

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: keep chase through bk

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

I've got 3 chase cards. total balances are ~$7000. I'm doing BK7 and I want to know if there's a way i can keep those cards and not include them in the BK. I'd like to keep them open and not get on the blacklist because they have been the best bank i've ever used. So is there a way to exclude them from BK, and even if i do, will they see the BK on my report and close me down anyways? 

Thanks

Sorry to hear about the BK.  As long as they are not burned, you will be able to get back in with them after a few years post BK.  Some people have reported getting back in with them after a year of BK.  All the best...

Message 2 of 7
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

You CANNOT pay off a lender before filing,it will be flagged, and will look as though you are showing creditor preferential treatment, which is a big NO NO in BK7.

Now, after your DC, you can pay any you want back voluntarily, and if you want back in with Chase or Amex, or Citi sooner than 5-10 yrs, then you can pay them back if you want.

But in BK7 your assets are liquidated, and debts wiped out,you would have to tell the trustee why you paid Chase, and the trustee could demand the money back from Chase during the filing, and redistributed that money to all your creditors. Don't screw it up...

I wouldnt pay anyone anything before you file.
Message 3 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

Thanks

Short Answer: NO

Long answer: You can pay them off and close them and wait 3 months and then file. I would not try to keep anything open, and if it has balances you CANT keep it out of BK.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

Thanks

There are much better uses for $7k than worrying about your relationship with Chase. There are other banks Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

As others have said, you can not pick and choose which accounts to put in your Bk - they all have to go on the petition unless they are zero balance. Even if they are zero balance the creditor is going to close the account. Every once in a while we see someone that has posted an account with a zero balance slipped through the Bk and wasn't closed, but it is rare and uncertain.

Those with balances will be closed.

If you want to keep a good relationship on your zero balance accounts, close them prior to filing then they won't have the IIB notation after you file (this is a good thing)

If you are going to file, you do have to be aware of preferential payments. Here is a little link explaining what they are: http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/pre-bankruptcy-payments-creditors-can-the-trustee-get-the-mon...

I burned Chase in my Bk (for much more than $7k) and they told me not to apply for 10 years after my discharge. Smiley Sad

My current FICO scores are in the low to mid 700's (depending upon my utilization at the time) so I really don't mind not having Chase for 10 years. But it is a long time....

EDIT:  This only applies to Chase cc's. It does not apply to Chase auto loans or mortgages.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very good advice in the thread so far. Heed it and all will be well. Good luck.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.