Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

late charges showing on discharged credit card debt

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

late charges showing on discharged credit card debt

I have a bankruptcy that was discharged in 2014.  Ive been wondering why my score is so low because I have nothing in collections, etc.  Couldnt figure it out so I touched base with a credit repair law firm.  The guy had me poull my reports and the credit cards that reported late payment, but the accounts were discharged under the bankruptcy.  The late charges continue to appear even though the account is no longer. I thought that since it was dismissed everything went away, Stupid, I know.  I'm trying to clean up my score quickly and am thinking of retaining their services to get those off my reports.  Anyone in the same boat as me?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: late charges showing on discharged credit card debt

I didn't know that anything can be done about that. Did he say they could do something?

Message 2 of 5
krielly
Established Contributor

Late payments prior to your filing date can report. If late payments are being reported AFTER your filing, those should be disputed. As far as the late charges go, do you mean they are reporting a balance due? If so, you need to dispute with the CBs. These accounts should report as IIB "0" Balance due.

The accounts don't drop off your report after BK. Only after the 7 year mark (7 years from DOFD).

Don't pay a firm to do what you can do yourself. Check out the Rebuilding threads.

K

You can't have your cake and eat it too. But you can dip your finger in the bowl and lick the icing!
Message 3 of 5
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

+1...Read the forums and save your money.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed, don't pay someone for something you can do yourself. You could also look into goodwill letters and see if that might help take away some of those late reportings.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.