Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

late payments prior to filing bankruptcy

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

late payments prior to filing bankruptcy

Does anyone know what i can do about late fees showing prior to my filing ? i noticed that my transunion report all the creditors didnt report late fees but my experian they did and equifax. can i get them removed because of transunion not reporting it and the other 2 are somehow since they reported to transunion my payments were all ok and to the other 2 equifax and experian they reported late fees? 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: late payments prior to filing bankruptcy

@Anonymous wrote:

Does anyone know what i can do about late fees showing prior to my filing ? i noticed that my transunion report all the creditors didnt report late fees but my experian they did and equifax. can i get them removed because of transunion not reporting it and the other 2 are somehow since they reported to transunion my payments were all ok and to the other 2 equifax and experian they reported late fees? 

Short answer - No. Reporting late payments/fees is perfectly legal, they just can't report lates after filing. Even then I had EX reporting lates after filing. I disputed them and got a couple removed but not all. And TU removes payment history from BK discharged debt, but even then they're still buried somewhere in the files - my FICO score based on TU always had the line "serious delinquency", even though in the full rep[ort I couldn't see any lates. MY BK7 was discharged Jan 2011 and my 7 derogatory accounts included in BK are falling off April thru August and in early April I got TU to early exclude all of them - my TU FICO jumped 40 points, and I no longer see the "serious delinquencies" line.

Those late will have a lower impact on your score over time, just make sure they all say $0 balance and Closed, and focus on using credit wisely and make all payments on time as you rebuild.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: late payments prior to filing bankruptcy

You can send the creditors a goodwill letter (find examples in forums) and see if they might remove the lates. However, they are under no obligation to do so if it was truly 30 days late + prior to filing.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.