Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need advice on card utilization and question about inquiries

tag
morganfofo
Valued Member

need advice on card utilization and question about inquiries

I have a $300 secured card from GTE FCU and a $300 unsecured Cap1 Quicksilver rewards card. I was actually just approved for these and haven't even received them yet.

I plan to put my $19.95 Myfico bill on the Secured card every month and pay in full as soon as I get the bill.

1. For the Quicksilver card, how much should I charge on it?

2. Should I pay it in full every month or carry a small balance on it so that my score is optimized? The only reason I have a secured card through GTE is because I'm trying to build a relationship with them so they'll approve an auto loan for me next year.

3. How will my score differ if I paid in full as soon as i get the bill as opposed to just before my due date?

Around the first of November I plan to get a credit builder loan through GTE.

4. Is three new accounts within one month going to affect my score negatively?

5. If I maintain the cards and the credit builder loan perfectly until next November, (and don't apply for any new credit) will my scores climb Back up enough to get a decent interest rate on a car loan?

Thanks so much! Just trying to do everything I can to optimize my scores.
EQ: 603 as of 6/1/15
TU: 608 as of 6/1/15
EX: 612 as of 6/1/15

Gardening til January 2016!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: need advice on card utilization and question about inquiries

I can answer the easy ones:

For the Quicksilver card, how much should I charge on it?

- For any CC, secured or unsecured, you should never have a reported balance (monthly statement) that is more than 30% of credlit limit for any single card or combined - that lowers your score.

Should I pay it in full every month or carry a small balance on it so that my score is optimized?

- I never subscribed to monthly credit monitoring, so I'm not sure about that. I do know that with Merrick Bank & Barclays, when I paid in full each month they were slow to raise the CL; when I started carrying a small balance & paid them interest, they were much faster to raise the CL.

How will my score differ if I paid in full as soon as i get the bill as opposed to just before my due date?

- I don't believe it makes any dofference.The amount of your statement balance and payment is what is reported, not when. In looking over my reports, there is no way to know when the payments were made, just the amount, the month, that is was made by the due date & not late, and was at least the minimum payment. I always make my payments a few days before the due date to maximize my cash flow. I even cycle use of cards, start using a card that just had a statement to maximize the amount of time I have to pay with no interest.

Is three new accounts within one month going to affect my score negatively?

- No. Three new inquiries (applications) will affect your score negatively, but 3 new accounts with new credit extended to you should have a positive affect.

If I maintain the cards and the credit builder loan perfectly until next November, (and don't apply for any new credit) will my scores climb Back up enough to get a decent interest rate on a car loan?

- Well, we don't know where you're starting from. A score of 700+ will get the better/best interest rate (4-7%, and unlikely you'll be there that fast. But a 620-650+ score will get you a decent rate (10-15%), Below 600 and you're looking at loan shark rates (18%+)

It's time for a new car for me and I'm 670-680 almost 4 years post discharge. Im trying to hold off until I can get 700+. I just got approved for a Capital One card w/$10k limit last week, I'm hoping that will bump me up over 700 when that starts reporting.

Message 2 of 7
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

Here's the thing - don't worry about your utilization right now. Just charge on the card, and pay it off in full every month.

When you get ready to apply for credit again in six months or so, pay them all down and let one card report with a zero balance and one report with less than 10% of the total CL (9% works best).

Worrying about utilization for scoring purposes every month will drive you bananas.

Focus on a good credit profile and the score will follow.
BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 3 of 7
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@0REDSOX7 wrote:
Here's the thing - don't worry about your utilization right now. Just charge on the card, and pay it off in full every month.

When you get ready to apply for credit again in six months or so, pay them all down and let one card report with a zero balance and one report with less than 10% of the total CL (9% works best).

Worrying about utilization for scoring purposes every month will drive you bananas.

Focus on a good credit profile and the score will follow.

X2...that's music to my ears!

Message 4 of 7
morganfofo
Valued Member

Thank you for your detailed response Dave! Greatly appreciated. Great job on the rebuild and good luck with your car purchase!

Redsox.. I have been obsessing over it and I haven't even received the cards yet lol. I plan to do just as you said. Thank you!

Message 5 of 7
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

It may seem counterintuitive to not worry about it for rebuilding, but, focus on the big picture and the score will follow. Smiley Happy
BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 6 of 7
morganfofo
Valued Member

Makes sense Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.