Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need advice on how to settle or if that's even an option

tag
vanasse2002

need advice on how to settle or if that's even an option

I am struggling with what I should do.

Here's my background:  Bought my house in 2006, have never had a late payment.  Refied to lower payment to $920 and am still current.  Have two car payments totaling $508/month (camry and tacoma) and never had a late payment with those either.  I have a small jon boat that is paid for.  My problem is the cc.  I have about $50,000 in cc debt.  It has slowly been building up over the past few years due to several reasons. 

I am now at the point where I can not afford to pay the minimum payments on them.  I talked to some DMP and they could not get my payments low enough for me to handle (they could only get my monthly payments to $1200).  I thought that BK may be what I should do, but then I started seeing information on settling on these boards.

Could someone out there please give me some more information on settling and how that process works?  Do you think that is a good option for me?

Thanks in advance for any and all that reply!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Re: need advice on how to settle or if that's even an option

@vanasse2002 wrote:

I am struggling with what I should do.

Here's my background:  Bought my house in 2006, have never had a late payment.  Refied to lower payment to $920 and am still current.  Have two car payments totaling $508/month (camry and tacoma) and never had a late payment with those either.  I have a small jon boat that is paid for.  My problem is the cc.  I have about $50,000 in cc debt.  It has slowly been building up over the past few years due to several reasons. 

I am now at the point where I can not afford to pay the minimum payments on them.  I talked to some DMP and they could not get my payments low enough for me to handle (they could only get my monthly payments to $1200).  I thought that BK may be what I should do, but then I started seeing information on settling on these boards.

Could someone out there please give me some more information on settling and how that process works?  Do you think that is a good option for me?

Thanks in advance for any and all that reply!

Hi vanasse2002 and welcome to the forums!!!! Are any of your cards in collections? are they closed by the credit grantor? Open? 

Community Leader, 

DaBears

Message 2 of 7
vanasse2002

All of the accounts are still open.  I have fallen one payment behind on some of them.  I have just gotten to the point of not being able to pay the minimum balance so I am stuck and don't know what to do. 

Message 3 of 7
DaBears
Senior Contributor

I will request a Moderator to move your post to the Bankruptcy thread as you will get more answers over there and the guru's on that thread will be able to guide you in the right direction. Sorry I couldn't be of any help. Smiley Sad

Community Leader, 

DaBears

Message 4 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@vanasse2002 wrote:

All of the accounts are still open.  I have fallen one payment behind on some of them.  I have just gotten to the point of not being able to pay the minimum balance so I am stuck and don't know what to do. 

Have you talked to the creditors to see if they can help you?

Message 5 of 7
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

Welcome to the BK/DS side of the world!  First off, DMPs and Debt Consolidation are worthless, so I'm really happy you joined the forums and asked in here.  To give a quick explanation of the above statement: DMP = credit hit AND pay in full, so that sucks, and debt CONsolidation is a scam (built by the CC companies themselves) that tricks you into doubling your debt load.

OK, so:

What's your income/expenses situation look like, not including your minimum payments to your CC's?

The reason I ask is that if you qualify for BK7 and cannot get your debts settled off in 12-18 months, then it becomes a real decision.  Here's the math you'll need:

Figure you can settle everything off for somewhere between 35¢ and 50¢ on the dollar.  So, your 50K in CC debt is really more like $15K-$25K.  Sounds a bit more managable doesn't it?  Note: this total will generally be the same whether you use an attorney (don't use a debt settlement company, they're pretty much rip offs) or do it yourself.  Attorneys will tend to get you better settlements, but then you add back in their fees.  BUT, they can make sure the paperwork is right and sue on your behalf if the creditors get out of line.

Ok, that was a little rambley.  So here's the deal, you cannot settle while you're current, so the question is, if you stopped making your mininum payments can you save between $850 and $1400/month (that's an 18 month plan).  If the answer is yes, and you REALLY HAVE THE DISCIPLINE to save that money, then yes, settling is an option.  But you HAVE to save it, because you need that money to execute your settlements (they're lump sum offers).

Now here's the reasoning...  You'll see all over the BK side of the myFico forums how we're masters at rebuilding people from BK7 to 700 FICOs in about 24 months after discharge.  A typical BK takes 3-4 months to complete, so generally speaking (and rounding) you're clear of your debt and back to a 700 in about 30 months.  However, you do have that BK looming over you for the rest of your life.  

On the debt settlement side of the coin, if you settle all your debts, you really can't start a rebuild until the LAST one is recorded as "paid/settled/closed".  Then you can start, and you'll typically see yourself back to decent credit within a year or year and a half.  So, if it takes you 12 months to settle, add 12-18 for recovery and you're back at 30, but without the BK.  You'll have a little less cash on hand, but not having the BK is worth it... trust me.  If it takes you 18 months to settle, somewhere around 30-36 months you'll be back to decent credit.

In any event, if you don't have a written budget, you HAVE to start there before you make this decision.  If you make it a rice and beans budget, and you can get out in 12 months w/o BK, its totally worth it.

Good luck!

-SM

I am not an attorney and none of what I write should be construed as legal advice. For legal advice please consult an attorney.

Starting Score: ~470 preBK(8/2010)
Current Scores as of Late January 2016 All 700+. Last CR pull from a lender(housing) was mid-score 749.
Goal Score: 700+ - reached.
Message 6 of 7
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with soulmaster on many of his points.  I don't like DMPs, and that's just a personal thing.  I had a very, very bad experience with mine.  I'm sure others have had great experiences, I'm just going from what's happened to me in the past.

Also BK is a last resort type of thing.  I like his point on that.  If there's anyway you can hunker down and get  this debt down without going that route, I'd do my research on that.

I do have to disagree that you can't settle a debt that is current.  I've been there and done that.  It does affect your credit, but it saved me money and I was able to recover from the sting.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.