cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new judgement added

tag
felice

new judgement added

Hello all. I went to court in june for a cc debt,judge granted them a judgement. In july I got a garnishment summons and I then filed a chap 7 bk at the end of july. My credit reports now show that this judgement has been added Smiley Sad it was part of my bk and I expect discharge any day now. What if anything can I do about this judgement? If I can't get it removed, how do I get it to show incl in bk? Also if they correct it to show incl in bk, how will this affect my score? My transunion fako went down 13 pts when this was added...
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: new judgement added

@felice wrote:
Hello all. I went to court in june for a cc debt,judge granted them a judgement. In july I got a garnishment summons and I then filed a chap 7 bk at the end of july. My credit reports now show that this judgement has been added Smiley Sad it was part of my bk and I expect discharge any day now. What if anything can I do about this judgement? If I can't get it removed, how do I get it to show incl in bk? Also if they correct it to show incl in bk, how will this affect my score? My transunion fako went down 13 pts when this was added...

Ordinarily judgments do not disappear from your credit report simply because they are paid or included in bankruptcy. 

In order to have the judgment removed, it would have to be vacated by the court.  You would have to file a Motion to Vacate and specify under what legal grounds the judgment should be vacated.  By far the most common justification for having a judgment vacated is lack of proper service, but since you actually appeared in court that ship has long sailed.  Unfortunately, it looks like that judgment will sit on your credit report for up to 7 years.

I am not sure how judgments are reported when included in bankruptcy.  Perhaps you can file a dispute with the credit bureau. 

Message 2 of 4
ScoreBooster
Frequent Contributor

Based on my experience from other forums, a judgement included in bankruptcy can be vacated. If you want to have it removed, you can.

I recommend www.bkforum.com for further information.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ScoreBooster wrote:

Based on my experience from other forums, a judgement included in bankruptcy can be vacated. If you want to have it removed, you can.

I recommend www.bkforum.com for further information.

Only under certain specific circumstances.  Where the judgment existed prior to filing BK and there is no issue o service, it is rare.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.