Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new line and bk7

tag
wissam
Contributor

new line and bk7

what you all think about opening a new credit line before 341 meeting in 7 days ? 

i would not use it until bk case closed. 

i need to start bulding my credit . 

i was pre quilifed with capitalone for platinum card . but i was told it might cause a problem to open it . 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: new line and bk7

No. Just no. Do not open anything credit related excluding a checkings/savings account until after you have been discharged.  

Message 2 of 13
wissam
Contributor

So after I have 341 and truste say your debt is discharged. ? Or after all my case is closed ?
Message 3 of 13
holmesnmanny
Contributor

There's nothing in the bankruptcy law that says you can not open a new credit account while in bankruptcy. Most people just want to error on the side of caution and not have to get a letter from a trustee asking about it. 

I think if you are preapproved for a card then go for it. It is possible cap1 might actually deny you until after your discharge. Just don't use it until after your discharge unless you absolutely have to, just to be on the safe side. 

Pro Se Chapter 7 discharged July 2015
Message 4 of 13
wissam
Contributor

I was going to apply and invade of approval I would not use it until I have my discharge
My creditors meeting in April 7 tho it is soon
And I have 4 open accounts current abs no balance they survived from the bk so far
I think this will be big helping factor
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap 1 Approved me for 2 $300 limit cards 3 weeks after 341 meeting.

Message 6 of 13
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

@wissam wrote:
I was going to apply and invade of approval I would not use it until I have my discharge
My creditors meeting in April 7 tho it is soon
And I have 4 open accounts current abs no balance they survived from the bk so far
I think this will be big helping factor

If you have four revolving accounts, I would wait until after discharge.  You might be surprised that some of those accounts that are open now will get closed when your creditors soft pull your reports and see the BK.  This does happen even where they were not included.

The reason I would wait is that as account balances update to zero, your scores should rise, and you might well get higher starting limits.   Lots of people get like $300 if they apply while in BK and if they wait they might get 3K.  Once you start at these $300 limits, it is hard to get them up to anything decent.  Maybe $700 then $1200, but it is a long slog.  Better to start out with higher limits.

Message 7 of 13
wissam
Contributor

Fingerhut was not included and they closed it as included in bk .it really pissed me off because it has 0 balance and I did not include it
The 4 open accounts are ( key Jewelry. Gerd jewelry.firstone and bush cards .
Also I have Nordstrom card from td bank still open with no balance even target with TD was burned 300$ in bk
Message 8 of 13
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

You should know accounts will make it after 3 months post discharge. Hope for the best but do not be shocked if you get some more closures.
Message 9 of 13
Scupra
Super Contributor

@wissam wrote:
Fingerhut was not included and they closed it as included in bk .it really pissed me off because it has 0 balance and I did not include it
The 4 open accounts are ( key Jewelry. Gerd jewelry.firstone and bush cards .
Also I have Nordstrom card from td bank still open with no balance even target with TD was burned 300$ in bk

All accounts are included in a Chapter 7, balance or not.. I respectfully think you have no reason to be "pissed" as the creditor was following the law. What I would encourage you to do is read around the BK forums a lot more. There is a bunch of info that will help you through this and answer many of your questions.

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.