cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

post-BK... pay cash or get an auto loan?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

post-BK... pay cash or get an auto loan?

Ch 7 discharged in August 2007 due to business failure. re-affirmed 1 auto loan, 1 auto lease, and mortgage. The auto lease is up in Aug/Sept and the residual is too high to pay it out in cash. Well, we could, but it wouldn't be smart. Smiley Happy

We can pay cash for a used car no problem.

However, I was thinking... would it be better to find someone ANYONE to give us an auto loan (without caring TOO much about the finance rate) and pay it off in 3-4 months in order to show that we 1) got the auto loan post BK and 2) paid it off. Would 3-4 months be long enough to show good credit worthiness?

my credit score is in the mid 700s, hubby's is in the mid 500s (he extended his personal credit to help the business, so got hit with the BK much harder than I did).

Thanks!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: post-BK... pay cash or get an auto loan?

Creditors want to see longevity, not fast pay.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

so... how many months is considered longevity? 6? 12?
Message 3 of 4
rizeninme
New Contributor

Financing for a long term- 5 years- and making all your payments on time- will have the best impact on your credit rating. I don't know if a short term loan would really make much of an difference, certainly not raise your scores as significantly as a long-term loan.

If you already have one car loan and a mortgage, then pay cash if you can. Don't waste any more money on interest. A few years of good mortgage payments will bring your scores up the best. (In my opinion)

Message Edited by rizeninme on 04-11-2008 10:31 PM
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.