Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rebuilding with spouse?

tag
Dis0314
Established Member

rebuilding with spouse?

We filed chp7 bankruptcy jointly this past Feb. When rebuilidng our credit would it matter if the first two cards are under her name and im an authorization user only or do i need to get some myself? The reason is all the cards that went BK were mine (she was auth user) and when trying cap1 pre-auth I didn't get anything but she got a pre-auth for a Plat card (3k limit!!) went through full approval. I'm wondering if it really matters since it will report on both of our credit reports..

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: rebuilding with spouse?

Some lenders don't look at AU. Others do. My wife and I have been able to both get approved and have added each other on numerous cards. We haven't done the AU on most of the store cards (probably will on Walmart so she will have one), but have on most of the Visa/MasterCards.

Message 2 of 5
Scupra
Super Contributor

Each person should build their own credit profile. Like said, some lenders don't look at AU history.

Also, just because Cap1 doesn't pre qual you doesn't mean you won't be approved.
Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 3 of 5
Dis0314
Established Member

@Scupra wrote:
Each person should build their own credit profile. Like said, some lenders don't look at AU history.

Also, just because Cap1 doesn't pre qual you doesn't mean you won't be approved.

Sounds like a plan.. This is going to be a new thing for us. We've always lived on my credit, all the cars everything. All she had were some retail cards and a student loan, no auto loan in over 15 years. 

So so do I cancel the auth user or it doesn't matter? 

Message 4 of 5
Scupra
Super Contributor

As long as you keep the utilization in line it shouldn't matter! Just don't rely on an AU account.
Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.