Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

should I file bankruptcy ?

tag
ando35
Frequent Contributor

Re: should I file bankruptcy ?

I did it in 2008 and I am still recovering. I would recomend you not do it unless you are like over 30 or 50 k in debt. Granted, I waited 3 yars to start rebuidling but even so it is very, very difficult. I finally got up tp 700 after rebuilding for 2 years and then went down to 623 due to adding accounts or needing to use the balance. Then when old bad marks fall off, your score goes down instead of up because now your history is shorter.  Filing for 5 grand would be foolish in my opinion. That is nothing. You will realize that is nothing later on, once you are earning money.

Message 11 of 12
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

Re: should I file bankruptcy ?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello, I am 24 turning 25 very soon. Unfortunately the more and more I attempt to get out of debt the more debt I dig up. I never filed local taxes so I have to pay back all of that. I have a couple of medical bills on my credit score. I didn't always have medical insurance so unfortunately that happened. I had an ex that ran up a cell phone bill to almost $500, so that is on my credit score. I also have about $5000 in student loans. And finally I have a repossession  on my record. On the bright side I've never owned a credit card so I don't have any credit card debt. I make only enough money to cover my bills and groceries if that. I am strongly considering  bankruptcy to gain control of my financial  situation  before I get older and it gets worse. I just need some advice and opinions  if anyone can help. 

You already have a lot of good ideas.  I'll add that you really need to look at the back taxes. When you don't file your taxes, the tax estimate that they come up with is without any write-offs or exemptions.  It's possible that if you file them, you won't owe money or they may owe you funds.  If you can get copies of your w2s or have copies of your Fed taxes with w2s, that's the way to go.  The funds to pay a tax person to redo your taxes is a lot less than filing for bankruptcy especially since the biggest bills you've listed will not be discharged.

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.