Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

student loan and bankruptcy

tag
butter1
Valued Member

student loan and bankruptcy

I got an score alert today gaining 4 points when I checked the reason for the alert it stated my student loan account was update, it now list as a  0 balance and included in bankruptcy, I am so confused as I was told my student loan was not going to be included in my bankruptcy. it can not be discharged, Can anyone tell me if they will change it back once I am discharged. Wondering why they would go through hte trouble of changing it and then have to change it back, I am scared to inquire about it in case its a mistake. lol

Current Score: Equifax Fico Score: 595 Transunion fico Score 619 -- Goal 720
Chapter 7 BK filed November 2013 / Discharged February 2014
CapitalOne- Quicksilver - $1500 / Cap 1 Secured: $710 / Merrick Bank- $700 / Walmart $300 / Target $300 / New York & Co $550 / The Limited $250 / Buckle $250 / Fingerhut $750 / Firestone $800
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

Re: student loan and bankruptcy

Butter, this is correct.

It will not be discharged, but, show this way until you're discharged.

Once you're discharged, it will show back as it was before.

BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 2 of 7
butter1
Valued Member

@0REDSOX7 wrote:

Butter, this is correct.

It will not be discharged, but, show this way until you're discharged.

Once you're discharged, it will show back as it was before.

Thank you Redsox7, its only 3k i may keep that as my only debt to rebuild. Thanks again.

CapitalOne- Quicksilver - $1500 / Cap 1 Secured: $710 / Merrick Bank- $700 / Walmart $300 / Target $300 / New York & Co $550 / The Limited $250 / Buckle $250 / Fingerhut $750 / Firestone $800
Message 3 of 7
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

Have you checked all your reports?

Because for me, only two of the three have it listed like that.  TU is the only one still reporting it as open...

BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 4 of 7
butter1
Valued Member

so far its only my equifax that is reporting this way.I have no alerts on the others, so I figured no changes,  I will pull them after my discharge so I can start disputing. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 7
LieslMet

Sometimes, student loans CAN be discharged in bankruptcy. Private and/or non-federal (ie Stafford is federal) loans are not included. In other words, if the fed/state wouldn't seize your tax refund for the debt, it's dischargeable. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/steve-rhode/some-private-student-loan_b_3652935.html

Message 6 of 7
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

Interesting post. Thanks.
BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.