Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

thinking about filing ch.7

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

thinking about filing ch.7

Hi,

I have yet to consult an attorney, but since it's after hours, I'll post my question here also. I just found out that I have a judgement that started to garnish my paycheck last week. Of course, I can't afford that, but I wasn't going to file bankruptcy originally because my understanding was that judgements aren't affected by BK. I was just going to try to negotiate as many pay to delete deals as possible to repair my credit. I just read on another forum here that judgements will actually stop collection activity to include a judgement that is garnishing wages. Has anyone found that a judgement can be stopped by filing chapter 7?  the judgements are entered as a personal debt and between my wife and I there are three of them totaling about 16,000 dating back a few years from befopre we were married. we're currently trying to fix our credit to be able to purchase a home.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
6speed8
Regular Contributor

Re: thinking about filing ch.7

Probably best to speak to a lawyer and give him/her all the info. Lots of variables I believe. If the judgement is over 2 years old - but you say you just found out about it. Strangely with that though, I had one from 2005 that my attorney told me I could include but I chose not to - long story lol.  Did you contest it - appear in court - or did you not appear and it was a default judgement because you did not appear.

CH 7 Discharged 6/10/15
T/U - 643
EQ - 588
Ex - 647 as of 6/14/15
Message 2 of 3
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Re: thinking about filing ch.7

Generally, BK will absolutely stop any collection (besides some govt and student loans)

As soon as you file everything stops in their tracks including reposition, forclosure, debt collection, etc.

I am not sure about wages garnished already.  But it will stop future ones from filing.

After BK is discharged the wage garnish will stop (if not already) and I would bet they would have to refund it to you (payments in limbo during BK period.)

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.