Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

verizon or att?

tag
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: verizon or att?

@Anonymous wrote:

So I applied to verizon today and they asked for a $400 deposit. Im definetely going to do it seeing as I will get the deposit back after 12 months anyhow, but I figured I would ask this before I run down to the verizon store and plunk down my cash, is there any chance of reconning a deposit amount? like maybe even just getting them to come down to 300? Or is it pretty much unheard of?

No chance unfortunately. Make sure EVERY payment is on time as carriers look for a reason not to give the deposit back. By the way, I love Verizon Smiley Happy

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't burn any cell phone carrier but recently left Verizon after 15 years and moved to Cricket.  Cricket is owned by ATT and is essentially the same service.  I currently pay $70 for two lines which is about a $70 savings over what I was paying Verizon not to mention I have more data now.  If you are a die hard Verizon person check out Page plus.  They are a Verizon MVNO.  I used them for a few months and the service was great!

Message 12 of 17
Taoron
Frequent Contributor

I've had Verizon since August 2013, one year prior to bankruptcy.  All they asked for was $150 deposit.  They sent it back to me via check 1 year later.  Since then, I've gotten a new tablet (Galaxy Note Pro 12.2") and a new phone (Upgraded from a Galaxy S3 to a Galaxy S6 Edge in April.)  Never been late with them, and absolutely love the service I get.  It was the only provider that worked where I lived in IL and moving to FL, I haven't had a problem here either.

Message 13 of 17
bstone
Frequent Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:

@Scupra wrote:

Verizon tends to have the highest deposits for cell phones.

It's funny... I went in there last September to get the new iPad Air 2 LTE... and they told me I had like $8000 in store credit available.  I was like "huh" and they said yes you can buy phones/tablets up to that amount and charge it to your account.

No need for that many phones or tablets but it's nice to know that being a customer since 1998 with no missed payments does get you a little in store recognition.

LOL

With what phones and tablets cost now, $8,000 isn't that much.  You'll get two phones, a tablet and a pack of gum, and if you're lucky, enough left over to get a nice case.

NFCU Rewards - $18,000, NFCU Signature - $18,000, NFCU LOC - $15,000, Care Credit - $7,700, Lowe's - $6,400, Capital One QS - $5,000, Walmart - $5,000, Amazon - $4,000
Message 14 of 17
Officer737
Established Contributor

From what I understand, wait until your Equifax score is 600 or more. I am 15 months post discharge and included Verizon in it (couple of hundred dollars). Yesterday I tested the theory of trying to Verizon and apped and was approved with no deposit or anything. I picked up a cheap flip phone for $1.08 and my plan is $25 a month. Didn't really need the phone but now I have a spare for work to keep it seperate from my personal phone and when my contract is up in March I will transfer the line to the new Verizon acct. 

Message 15 of 17
notpaul
Regular Contributor

I would ask local people you know. Verizon and US cellular are the only companies that work somewhat reliably where I live. I got a prepaid Verizon for $100. It costs less and works fine for my needs.
6/15 DC BK7, starting EQ FICO score 563

2/16 FICO EQ 661. TU 653, EX 660
Current CC Accounts: Capital One QS1 500; Overstock 1300; Care Credit 5000; Barclay Rewards MC 1300; JCPenney 3500; Amazon 3500; WalMart 3500; Target 500; PenFed Promise Visa 2000; PenFed CLOC 500; NFCU Flagship 12500; NFCU Platinum 8500; Credit One 1000.
Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea I ended up going with Verizon. I live in Seattle and I had them about 5 years ago when they were first coming out with 4g LTE and was very pleased with their service. I've been meaning to get back with them lately but just haven't had the money to to pay the deposit. I ended up getting the droid turbo at Costco for free.
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.