Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4% Corporate Amex?

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

4% Corporate Amex?

A former employer had some senior employees use corporate Amex cards that supposedly gave the company 4% cash back on everything. Looking back on this, I wonder how Amex would make money on this. Even with a big AF, 4% cash would really hurt Amex's margins.

I'm not trying to get one, I'm mostly curious to learn about how the program works/worked. Does anyone have info?

Was this maybe some pre-nerf feature of the Corporate AA Amex, and it wasn't really cash? Some other card? Some special way of redeeming points for travel credits?

I heard this from a fairly authoritative source, so I don't think I'm mistaken about the 4% figure.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: 4% Corporate Amex?

Doubt they could do 4% without any caps or they would crush the other card companies, granted they have higher swipe fees, etc.. I would be more inclined they could do 2.5% pretty easily or possibly 3%.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

4% on everythng lol   Perhaps the usual biz topics food, rent a car, airlines, office supplies, cell phone    I think some was mistaken.  

Message 3 of 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

A former employer had some senior employees use corporate Amex cards that supposedly gave the company 4% cash back on everything. Looking back on this, I wonder how Amex would make money on this. Even with a big AF, 4% cash would really hurt Amex's margins.

I'm not trying to get one, I'm mostly curious to learn about how the program works/worked. Does anyone have info?

Was this maybe some pre-nerf feature of the Corporate AA Amex, and it wasn't really cash? Some other card? Some special way of redeeming points for travel credits?

I heard this from a fairly authoritative source, so I don't think I'm mistaken about the 4% figure.

Found a Corporate card with American Airline's structure:

Card Membership Benefits

American Express®/ Business Extra® Rebate‡

Your company can earn a 4% or 1% rebate* on the first $1,500,000 of flown eligible American Airlines airfare purchases each year with the American Express®/ Business Extra® Corporate Card.

Message 4 of 5
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

Found a Corporate card with American Airline's structure:

Card Membership Benefits

American Express®/ Business Extra® Rebate‡

Your company can earn a 4% or 1% rebate* on the first $1,500,000 of flown eligible American Airlines airfare purchases each year with the American Express®/ Business Extra® Corporate Card.

I was looking at that earlier, but this card supposedly gave 4% on everything, not just AA spend.

Maybe it was 4% for the first year or some promotion like that. I'm not sure how long the company had been with Amex when I joined in 2013.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.