Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

Established Contributor
0 Kudos

AMEX Blue Business Plus Approved!

[ Edited ]

Literally missed out on the 25,000 MR points by a matter of days. Needed to wait until I pulled the trigger on my 3XCLI first before apping for this card. Although even with the 25k bonus expired this is a no-brainer for most. So with that I placed the app....got the spinning thingy for about 45 secs and screen came back with 'pending review" with a number to call. Immedietely called them back, answered a few general questions and boom!... Approved with a $10k limit! Pretty estatic about this one. Now I can close my PGR w/$195 fee and use this card for basically everyday spend. Still no sign of a HP yet....Will update back if or when I recieve one.

FICO8 Scores:~ 9/10/2017:~ TU:~737 EQ:~742 EX:~755
Inquires TU:~10 EQ:~10 EX:~15
Total Utilization:~ 3%
Total Revolving CL:~ $350k+club
New Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: AMEX Blue Business Plus Approved!

Aren't they pretty strict with wanting you to use your business cards for business purposes only? Unless you've been using the PRG for business purchases only?

If you're getting this card only for 2X MR on your personal spending, I would tread lightly.
Established Contributor
0 Kudos

Tubpbs wrote:
Aren't they pretty strict with wanting you to use your business cards for business purposes only? Unless you've been using the PRG for business purchases only?

If you're getting this card only for 2X MR on your personal spending, I would tread lightly.

Yes. My expenses will be (business) expenses as I tend to rack them up no doubt. 

Valued Contributor
0 Kudos

Tubpbs wrote:

Firstly congrats to the OP!! This is one of the best fee-free cards to come out in recent years and that's a decent limit to get out the door with!

As far as this question about personal/business it is brought up from time to time and is more of a grey-area for Amex. Some lenders are explicit in the approved use of their small business cards, some don't care at all, and some even encourage personal spend on them as well.

FWIW, I have had 4 so far from Amex and due to their terms simply stating that the card 'will be used for business transactions' have erred on the side of the grey area personally. To those who decide for themselves that this expression has the additional meaning of 'business and only business and nothing but business' the most offensive transaction I have used an Amex business card for was a haircut.

Off the top of my head, other not-at-all-businessy things I've run through them are: groceries, personal phone bill, Razer Blade laptop (a known gaming company with zero business-aimed products), Air Conditioning unit, mattress, 'luxury' travel items, long Airbnb stay, .

Granted as a sole-proprietor some of those things could end up as business writeoffs since I work at home when I do business work, and use a lot of equipment/tools as both personal and business-related but the point is that at the end of the day each bank/lender is different so there is no hard fast rule regarding personal spend on a business card. 

In many large corporations, employees with corporate credit cards are allowed to put personal charges on them but then have to reimburse the company from their paycheck. 

YMMV but I will stay that Amex is certainly not one of those lenders that is strongly opposed, and at the end of the day with small business credit cards you are personally liable for any debt on them anyway just as you are with your own personal cards. Something to keep in mind.

Established Contributor
0 Kudos

wanderingbuilder wrote:

Tubpbs wrote:

Firstly congrats to the OP!! This is one of the best fee-free cards to come out in recent years and that's a decent limit to get out the door with!

As far as this question about personal/business it is brought up from time to time and is more of a grey-area for Amex. Some lenders are explicit in the approved use of their small business cards, some don't care at all, and some even encourage personal spend on them as well.

FWIW, I have had 4 so far from Amex and due to their terms simply stating that the card 'will be used for business transactions' have erred on the side of the grey area personally. To those who decide for themselves that this expression has the additional meaning of 'business and only business and nothing but business' the most offensive transaction I have used an Amex business card for was a haircut.

Off the top of my head, other not-at-all-businessy things I've run through them are: groceries, personal phone bill, Razer Blade laptop (a known gaming company with zero business-aimed products), Air Conditioning unit, mattress, 'luxury' travel items, long Airbnb stay, .

Granted as a sole-proprietor some of those things could end up as business writeoffs since I work at home when I do business work, and use a lot of equipment/tools as both personal and business-related but the point is that at the end of the day each bank/lender is different so there is no hard fast rule regarding personal spend on a business card. 

In many large corporations, employees with corporate credit cards are allowed to put personal charges on them but then have to reimburse the company from their paycheck. 

YMMV but I will stay that Amex is certainly not one of those lenders that is strongly opposed, and at the end of the day with small business credit cards you are personally liable for any debt on them anyway just as you are with your own personal cards. Something to keep in mind.

Thanks wanderingbuilder your the congrats and important points involving business purchases. This is my first business card with Amex so this info with certainly help me moving forward.And I agree, ever lender is different as far as having a certain criteria for charactorizing expenses. 

New Contributor
0 Kudos

I agree with all that and I know it's not 100% clear. I was mostly commenting because of the PRG closure comment. I wouldn't be concerned with some spending here or there. I would be concerned with some closing their PRG and then literally spending that exact money (and ONLY personal money) on that card specifically. I think that card because for whatever reason, I think Amex will likely take it personally as they have a tendency to. Just a feeling. No reason per se.
Contributor
0 Kudos

Congrats on the card and nice limit!  I like the 2X MR points and the no AF.  I'm waiting for the bonus to come around again.

Established Contributor
0 Kudos

BPebbles wrote:

Congrats on the card and nice limit!  I like the 2X MR points and the no AF.  I'm waiting for the bonus to come around again.

Thanks BPebbles! I just missed it be a week. Just from reading through some of the blogs, frugalguy, millionmilesecrets etc, they seem confident in saying this card may never see the bonus points like that offer again in the very distant future so I just went for it. But you never know Amex has been know to suprise us.

Established Contributor
0 Kudos

Just an update....5 days after the app and still no sign of a hp...

0 Kudos

bruisedcredit wrote:

Just an update....5 days after the app and still no sign of a hp...

Congrats on your approval.  I never received an HP either.  Gotta love Amex

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.