Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Business Glold Slashed my Credit Limit

tag
bclay
Valued Member

AMEX Business Glold Slashed my Credit Limit

I obtained the AMEX Business Charge Card (no set limit) back in August of 2015.  My usual balance on the card is between $2,000-$12,000 each month.  I pay in full every month on time.  In April I needed to make some large purchases.  I thought I did the correct thing and called a head to let them know  what  amount I would be charging and if it was ok.  They told that it was fine to go ahead and make these purchases, and that I have been a great customer.  After I made the purchases my balance was $27,381.  I know that is very high.  About a few days later, they decided to put a credit limit on my card for $5,100.  I decided I would wait until after I paid the balance to call back and ask for the no set limit again.  I paid the balance in full and on time.  I called back and now they want bank statments, returns or paystubs to put back to no pre set limit.  I am little frustrated.  You would think after paying a $27,000 balance they would at least increase my limit to $10,000 with out any documation. I would like to get it back to a no pre set limit, with out having to give them all personal info. Does this also mean they will want to pull my personal credit again, I really do not want an inquiry either.  Has anyone had any ecxperiance with this? 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Business Glold Slashed my Credit Limit

Ouch! It's kind of crazy that they are still asking for docs even after you paid the 27k, although this does seem to be the norm for Amex lately. Not sure why they insist on ticking off such good customers - this is not helping their image if you ask me. Unfortunately, I don't see anyway around providing the requested docs if you want your NPSL back, which sucks, but it is what it is.

Message 2 of 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Hard limits without you doing anything are in place for 12 months and then reviewed so it can go away without you doing anything but I would probably reach out to EO office and ask why they would place a low weird hard limit when you did exactly what the card was designed to do!

Message 3 of 6
MyDataMyChoice
Valued Contributor

we opened our green business amex in Dec 2014 NPSL

... then three months later they put a hard limit of 2K

We were always able to charge up to 3, sometimes 4 ...even tho it said no credit available

Then exactly 12 months later (and after upgrading account to GOLD) they have increased the hard limit to 7K... which the last few months we have been able to charge up to 11K on....

*The reasons listed on the communication letter was balances on business equifax reported high (our BJS MC). We have been rolling 10K balance....

Message 4 of 6
GPMDRL
New Contributor

Same happened to me a few years ago. Balance went to over $10k and I was always a pay balance in full person. I got the letter that my limit was reduced way down, forget what it was but I remember it kinda scared me. They said it'd stay that way until
I paid off my balance. I did that within a few days and then was contacted again that everything went back to normal. Back to no limit and I didn't have to provide any documents on anything. Good luck but I find it strange, sorry to hear tgar
Message 5 of 6
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

Navy wants pay stubs and bank statements for everything I've gotten from them.. Even after running 11k in business expenses through my card. It's honestly just easier to give it to them... I'm sure you don't have anything to hide.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.