cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Business Gold to Business Platinum?

tag
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

AMEX Business Gold to Business Platinum?

Just got an email from the mothership offering an upgrade from Business Gold Rewards Card to Business Platinum tied to a 25,000 MR points after first purchase. Is it worth it? I have had the Gold for about 6 months but I believe I am double covered on many perks of the Platinum as I also hold the Delta Reserve for Business. Airport lounge access is covered by the Delta card so that's a double. I see I can get $200 in airline fees reimbursed but the Delta card always gets me free first bag. There looks to be some late check out, breakfast and room upgrade but that's not really important to me. The purchase protection looks better ($10,000 vs $1,000 per occurrence). 

Big item is the fee is $450 a year but the Gold is $175 a year and first year no fee. 

I'm undecided. Any input? 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX Business Gold to Business Platinum?

I can never see the benefit of going Platinum unless you are going to make of all the perks unique to the Platinum card. Generic Rewards-wise, it's actually not as good...assuming that's why you carry the gold. 

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 2 of 4
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

I took the Gold as that's what they offered at the time, guess I am spending enough to rate more now. I'm pretty much making 1 point on all purchases on most AMEX as I use other cards for flights, gas etc. but even at that it's a LOT of points over the year. 

I'll look at the platinum specific perks again but I think I might pass as all of the travel perks are covered on another card anyhow. Even with the 25,000 points valued at $.01 per point the bonus does not cover the annual fee. 

Now if this was a stepping stone to the allusive Centurion for Business... I'm kidding! If I balk at $450 yearly fee I would die over $7,500 up front and $5,000 a year. But we can dream...

Message 3 of 4
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

I pondered it for a few days and decided to take the offer. I am double covered on some of the perks but can cover the AF so it's not that big a deal. Long term I plan on keeping the Platinum and dropping my Delta Reserve for Business once I hit the two spend reward levels (15,000 MQM and miles at $30,000 spend and same thing again at $60,000 spend). I'll keep my personal Delta card just for the first free bag perk. 

Card came in quickly too, got it yesterday in the mail. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.