Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Retail Categories

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX Retail Categories

I applied for and was approved for an AMEX Corporate Card for my job. I have bad credit. I got in deep with student loans due to the job market and health bills. I was approved for a car loan a few months ago but my credit rating is in the mid-500s. I received a letter from AMEX stating I had a total spending limit of $4000.00 but a $0.00 retail establishment spending limit.

What qualifies as a retail establishment in this case? Will I be able to buy dinner at a restaurant when I travel?

I appreciate any clarification!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Retail Categories

Call and ask. My guess is that the card can be used for travel, hotels, maybe for meals, and pretty much nothing else.

Find out if you would be able to prepay the card to make retail purchases.

As restricted as this is, this MAY be a way for you to get in with Amex. Build up a good history with them and show that you are responsible and you may be able to build the relationship.
Message 2 of 3
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: AMEX Retail Categories

I could be remembering incorrectly (possible any time I post) but I don't think a corporate card will help one's personal credit.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.