Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX SPG w/ 35K bonus !!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX SPG w/ 35K bonus !!!

I'm very surprised but ecstatic to get this. All the odds were against me getting approved but as the saying goes, "You won't know until you try". I figure, what have I got to lose? The worse they can say is NO.

Negatives:

1. I have the MAXIMUM number of credit cards AMEX will ever allow to anyone. 5 revolvers. Personal or Business. Charge cards doesn't count.

2. My SPG Preferred Card was just opened 9/6/2016 with a $1000 SL. I was ok with that and actually fine with doing CLI every 180 days.

3. I just got the PRG Card in 2/17/2017.

4. April 5 was the LAST DAY you can avail the 35K bonus. So, why not try.

5. The following day, AMEX application status site showed declined and an email followed that they have finished reviewing my application.

Then, I became hopeful when,

1. AMEX pulled Experian (FICO 8 score 739) the following day. Common trend is it's a HP if approved and SP if declined.

2. I got 2 phone calls from AMEX regarding "personal matters".

3. Called and was told I have the maximum number of cards they allow. I was resigned with defeat then he suggested closing one of my revolvers so the application can be processed. I initially declined not wanting to end up closing a card I didn't want closed and a declined application. He assured me if I am declined he will re-open the card I closed. I offered to closed the SPG Preferred with $1K SL. Was put on hold for 3 mins that felt like forever.

4. Came back with a good news, and approved for $10,000 SL. I couldn't be more ecstatic. Basically, it's almost a product change from SPG Preferred to SPG Businee with 10X SL. And to sweeten the deal, he said I would get the 35K bonus since it will be processed from when I sent the application. WOOHOO !!!

5. Oh yeah, just a side note. I know "Card Member since XX" really has no value anymore as far as AAoA. But, he said, "you have been a valuable member since 1996". I truly feel, it may be useless to FICO scoring, but I think AMEX really looks into that and may give extra credit when applying for a card. Or it's just in my head. Smiley Indifferent

THANK YOU, AMEX !!! YOU GAVE ME HOPE WHEN I WAS DOWN AND CONTINUE TO LIFT ME UP EVEN IF YOU DIDN'T HAVE TO.

AMEXSPG.jpg

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX SPG w/ 35K bonus !!!

Congratulations on your approval! SPG is a great one to have

Message 2 of 10
credit_endurance
Valued Contributor

Big congrats on your spg approval. I appied for this card as well on the very last day of the promo and mine still shows "in progress " How long did it take for them to approve your app?

Starting FICO08 Scores 2016 All in the mid 500’s
Current FICO08 Scores SEP 2023 (TU 834) (EQ 831 (EXP 831)

“The credit is no longer bruised, it has endured the test of time” (formally know as bruisedcredit)

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

They have pretty good rewards points.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Right away over the phone when I called. I think the people in Utah (phone number was showing Midvale, UT, Mountain Time) are the underwriters of AMEX. I would give them a call if I were you. They'd tell you right away.
Message 5 of 10
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

I got the 30k bonus offer with 3k spending. I belive the 35k bonus is with probably 5k spending.... The 35k offer is off now. 

Message 6 of 10
credit_endurance
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Right away over the phone when I called. I think the people in Utah (phone number was showing Midvale, UT, Mountain Time) are the underwriters of AMEX. I would give them a call if I were you. They'd tell you right away.

Just checked the app status website and I was declined🙁My scores where actually higher when they approved me for my BCP in February. Oh well time to head to the garden.

Starting FICO08 Scores 2016 All in the mid 500’s
Current FICO08 Scores SEP 2023 (TU 834) (EQ 831 (EXP 831)

“The credit is no longer bruised, it has endured the test of time” (formally know as bruisedcredit)

Message 7 of 10
kidink1911
Established Contributor

Congratulations on your AMEX SPG approval!!

PERSONAL: AMEX Platinum- NPSL / AMEX Gold- NPSL / Macy's AMEX Card- $4,500 / SavorOne- $500 / PenFed Gold Visa- $5,000 / Venmo Visa - $20,000 / PayPal MC- $20,000 / PayPal Credit- $1,700 / NFCU Visa Signature cashRewards- $5,800 / AMEX Delta Platinum- $4,200 / NFCU More Rewards AMEX- $3,400 / NFCU Cash Rewards- $4,000 / Credit One Platinum Visa Rewards- $1,000 / Discover IT Chrome- $1,000 / Capital One Venture- $3,550 / AMEX Cash Magnet Card- $1,000 / Belk MC Card- $800 / Citi Shell Mastercard- $400 / Credit One AMEX- $800 / Capital One Spark- $700 / Capital One Platinum- $300 / Citibank Shell- $400 / Oportun Visa- $500 / Fifth Third Bank MC- $300
BUSINESS: American Express Business Platinum- NPSL / AMEX Hilton Honors Business Card- $3,000 / AMEX Delta Platinum Business Card- $3,000 / Marriott Bonvoy Business Card- $3,000 / American Express Business Gold- NPSL / American Express Business Green- NPSL / Sam's Club Business Mastercard- $20,000 / Floor and Decor Pro Premier Business- $20,000 / Phillips 66-Conoco-76 Business Gas Card- $5,000 / Walmart Community Credit Line- $5,000 / Fuelman Mastercard- $3,000 / Amazon Synchrony Business Credit Line- $5,000 / Lowe's Business Credit- $5,000 / Office Depot Commercial Credit- $2,500 / Tractor Supply Company Business- $1,500 / Citi Exxon/Mobil Business Gas Card- $3,000 / Speedway Business Mastercard- $4,500
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@credit_endurance wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Just checked the app status website and I was declined🙁My scores where actually higher when they approved me for my BCP in February. Oh well time to head to the garden.

Perhaps try in a few months? Let us know what's the outcome. 

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BronzeTrader wrote:

I got the 30k bonus offer with 3k spending. I belive the 35k bonus is with probably 5k spending.... The 35k offer is off now. 

Yeah. the 35K bonus is with the Business Card. Did they also have it with the Personal? And what I didn't realize, 5K spend will give you 25K bonus and spend within 90 days. What I didn't see, the 10K is given ONLY after you spend another 3K within 6 months !!! Luckily, I found that out before it was too late. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.