Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX charge card for municipality?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX charge card for municipality?

Are munucipalities able to apply for AMEX charge cards without a PG?

What products are available? Can municipalities get corporate cards? If so are the requirements any different than for-profit businesses (e.x. "annual revenue")?

Our treasurer has been asked before about getting a card for us. She reportedly asked the bank that we use, and was told they do not offer cards for organizations of our type. But I'm considering pushing this again.

Currently all expenses that require a credit card are run through personal CCs with reimbursement through a voucher process. Normally I don't mind running a few hundred dollars at a time through my personal CC (hey, free points), but we've run into a few occasions where thousands of dollars have had to be put on personal CCs and I'd think the board would rather have a card in the municipalities name than doing all of this personal reimbursement. There are also supposedly some tax implications... as a tax exempt organization when making purchases we don't have to pay tax. But in my limited research if a purchase is made on a personal CC it isn't technically right to use the organization's tax exempt status to not pay tax on that purchase, even when the purchase is ultimately for the organization. We're audited regularly though and as far as I'm aware this has never been brought up.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX charge card for municipality?

I know Bank of America has business cards for what you're looking for not sure about Amex.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. BofA is actually who we originally approached.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know if Amex offers products specifically for municipalities, but I once had an Amex corporate card when I worked for a state university. Purchases were tax-exempt and there was no PG on the card. 

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting. So the card itself handled the tax exemption?

A state university would be handling a lot more money than we are, but something like that would be great if we could get it.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.