cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx Business Platinum - Pay before statement close or after? - Change primary?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AmEx Business Platinum - Pay before statement close or after? - Change primary?

crosst post from credit card forum.

Just got my Platinum business card in the mail. I am not realy sure how "charge" cards work, never had one. I prefer to not have balances show on my credit, if possible, So for my business cards, I generally pay them down to 0 right before the statement close... so they have a 0 balance on my credit report.

I know the amex platinum card raises your "no preset spending limit... limit" the more you use your card etc. 

Is it going to hurt me at all by paying the card off after i make purchases, or is it best to let the balances hit the statement end and then pay them off? Or is it all the same to them.

Also if Person A opens an account and adds person B as a second card holder... is there some point in the future that person A can be removed from the account and person B be the only / primary card holder? I am guessing not.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AmEx Business Platinum - Pay before statement close or after? - Change primary?

It doesn't hurt to at all to pay your balance before it reports.  Typically these forums recommend that you let 1 of your revolving accounts report 1-9% util and report 0 on all the others.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AmEx Business Platinum - Pay before statement close or after? - Change primary?

Amex business cards do not post to your personal credit report. Amex will report to personal only if you zonk them (default).

Message 3 of 6
flyingmd
Frequent Contributor

The AMEX business platinum will not report or show up on your personal credit report at all unless the account goes into collections. I usually make multpile payments throughout the month and pay the balance by the due date. But as long as its paid withing 7-10 days of your due date there is NP. BTW, In talking with CSR, she mentioned that the due date is a "suggested due date" so you have alittle flexiblity in when to pay. They will also change the due date for you. I would call CSR to discuss options.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

' Also if Person A opens an account and adds person B as a second card holder... is there some point in the future that person A can be removed from the account and person B be the only / primary card holder? I am guessing not."

you guessed right!!  Check the card website for exact details re: additional card holders and their "ability to use the card".  There are 2 types of additional card holders. 

Message 5 of 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

If person A opens account and adds B, B can never take it over and remove A.

and although Amex speaks of a little flexibility with payment, don't kid yourself in thinking you are going to be 1 day late and amex doesn't either freeze your card for more charges until payment received or turn your "no preset spending limit" into a HARD limit!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.