Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Business Gold & Plum

tag
audia4
Established Contributor

Amex Business Gold & Plum

We were approved for Amex Gold & Plum back in Sept 2014. At first, they told us it was unlimited and we said we would probably spend $20k on each during the month. Once we got the cards, business boomed and we managed to spend $20k in about 1 1/2-2 weeks. Well, Amex freaked out and put a hold on them for review. Once the review was over, they told us they were going to put a limit of $3000 on each AND take my personal Blue Sky from $10k down to $3100. Smiley Mad  While I have had my reg Amex for several years and my credit history is perfect (see scores below) and never a late on ANY cards or anything, I was super frustrated but what could I do.

After having the Gold & Plum for not quite a year, they increased the limits on both the Gold & Plum to $6,000 each. Then they upped my Blue Sky to $9300.

NOW...I just realized when I log in it's back to saying (this is what it said when we first got them) "No pre-set spending limit"  Smiley Surprised  It also states "No Pre-Set Spending Limit does not mean unlimited spending. Purchasing power adjusts with the use of the account, payment history, credit record, and financial resources known to us, and other factors." 

So does this mean that they finally took the actual $6,000 "limit" off of it like it was in the beginning and they will just approve accordingly? I know there's a button on there that you can check if something will be approved. We tried last night in increments of $5,000 and it approved all the way up to $15k and then after the third try, it said we were trying too much and would have to contact them for additional approvals, then the button was removed. Today I log on and see that it's back, but I'm not going to try anything because I didn't want to throw any red flags. I just wanted to see just how far they would let the cards go up to.

Now I can say that even when we had limits, they allowed us to go WAY past the limits by about 2 1/2x before denying any charges. We recently obtained another business card with a $17k limit, which helps keep most of our business expenses on that one because these Amex cards are just so low and only takes a few days to hit the low limits they had placed on them. We charge the other business card, which also lets us go WAY over the limit, every 2 weeks and then recharge again.

History: All of them (including our personal cards with combined limits over $75k) are paid in full every single month. We don't pay either the Gold or Plum until the bill cuts so that we can take advantage of the discounts you get for PIF monthly with cash back (applied to the card). I have to say that I HATE this having to wait. Once they have reached the limit within a week or two, we have to revert to another card for use while we wait out the entire month for these to cut so that we don't lose our cash back. Smiley Sad

So I just wanted to hear thoughts on what might be going on with these two cards. Did they remove this limit? OBVIOUSLY we WILL NOT be putting an abundance amount of charges on these two cards to throw another red flag like last time. We will moderately use them and use our Chase Business SW card as the primary card until Amex feels comfortable with us. It would just be so nice to have ONE card that was unlimited that all expenses can go on to easily keep track of stuff. Life could be so much easier. Sigh

TU: 819 EQ: 821 EX 811

**$7500****$30,000*****$13500****$42,200****$10,000***$10,700*****$6000****$11,000*****OPEN****OPEN******$27,000*****11,000

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex Business Gold & Plum

Have you talked to anyone at Amex to verify what your actual spending ability is now?
Message 2 of 12
audia4
Established Contributor

@B335is wrote:
Have you talked to anyone atAmex to verify what your actual spending ability is now?

Nope, nor will I. I have had nothing but BAD luck with every single phone call I have ever made to any cc company in the past, whether it be to recon, ask about something or whatever. I hate talking on the phone to the cc companies and it has brought me bad luck in the past. Smiley Frustrated Last time I did that with Amex, they lowered my 10k credit line to the 3100. I refuse to call them if I don't absolutely have to. Smiley Sad  I was just hoping someone knew if this meant it was back to what it use to be with no limit and maybe has had this happen to them before.

**$7500****$30,000*****$13500****$42,200****$10,000***$10,700*****$6000****$11,000*****OPEN****OPEN******$27,000*****11,000

Message 3 of 12
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

It sounds like they removed the hard limit. I've seen this done in the past. I think they'll be watching and have been watching your reports and know that you're not going to bail on the bill, so you should be fine charging what you need to in a given month. I wouldn't shift 100% of the spend over this month, though, but give it a good percentage and gradually increase it if this card is the most profitable cash back card for your business.

Glad to hear your hard limit was removed. Don't like that they haven't reverted you back to your 10k limit on the Blue sky, but it seems that they aren't too worried because they granted your CLI from 3.1 to 9.3.. you'll be fine. Best of luck and let us know how it all goes.
Message 4 of 12
audia4
Established Contributor

Well I guess I got my "official" answer today from Amex. I received 2 letters in the mail from them (one for each card) stating:

"You may recall that some time ago we established a Spending Limit for your account referenced above and in effect, changed the terms of your Cardmember Agreement. Effective today we are removing the Spending Limit that was previously imposed on your account."

WOO HOO!   

<---Is using it wisely this time around and still keeping a majority of charges on the high limit $17k business card and paying off instantly. But hey, I'm happy. Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 12
audia4
Established Contributor

OMGOSH!!!   I'm posting this as a follow up. I just opened up a third letter from them that states my limit is $50,000 on just the Gold card. Smiley Very Happy

Someone pick me up off the floor please......

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@audia4 wrote:

OMGOSH!!!   I'm posting this as a follow up. I just opened up a third letter from them that states my limit is $50,000 on just the Gold card. Smiley Very Happy

Someone pick me up off the floor please......

Very nice.. The Plum card is a really good card.  Enjoy...

Message 7 of 12
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Message 8 of 12
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@audia4 wrote:

Well I guess I got my "official" answer today from Amex. I received 2 letters in the mail from them (one for each card) stating:

"You may recall that some time ago we established a Spending Limit for your account referenced above and in effect, changed the terms of your Cardmember Agreement. Effective today we are removing the Spending Limit that was previously imposed on your account."

WOO HOO!   

<---Is using it wisely this time around and still keeping a majority of charges on the high limit $17k business card and paying off instantly. But hey, I'm happy. Smiley Very Happy

Belated congrats.  Amex can be tight, but they do seem fair.

Signature needs updating
Message 9 of 12
audia4
Established Contributor

Thanks everyone. I'm real happy.

I also found a new card I apped for and it was appealing because it's a "nursing" card/logo. I just had to have it. It's with BOA and they gave me an $11k line on it (which completely shocked me since I already have 2 other BOA cards to begin with). It will probably be my most used card once it arrives. They pulled Experian, which always seems to be my lowest score of the 3 credit bureaus, but thanks to them sending me that score, I at least found out that my score has increased to 799 with them. Time to update my signature line. Smiley LOL (Only I can't find a picture of the actual card anywhere online yet ...boo) 

I am done with cards. I really don't feel that I need any more and have enough. It is possible to "have enough" right? I mean doesn't it get to a point that you are just hurting yourself by having too many?

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.