Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Business Platinum Compromised

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Business Platinum Compromised

Got an email from Amex to call in with a fraud alert the other day. Called in and they asked me about a charge for $108 to AAA i believe orgininated out of Ohio. Happened to actually be a fraudulent charge. I've had this card for over two years, and never had a fraud on it(Never leaves its home in my wallet, and i don't hand it to people to walk off with).

Amazing out of all the charges put on this card over the years, they caught the one fraudulent charge immediately and denied it. I put charges on that card out of the blue with companies i have never done business with before all the time. How the f they knew, i don't know....but i like it. They run a tight ship over over there.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Business Platinum Compromised

They must have some amazing filters! 

Message 2 of 6
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Got an email from Amex to call in with a fraud alert the other day. Called in and they asked me about a charge for $108 to AAA i believe orgininated out of Ohio. Happened to actually be a fraudulent charge. I've had this card for over two years, and never had a fraud on it(Never leaves its home in my wallet, and i don't hand it to people to walk off with).

Amazing out of all the charges put on this card over the years, they caught the one fraudulent charge immediately and denied it. I put charges on that card out of the blue with companies i have never done business with before all the time. How the f they knew, i don't know....but i like it. They run a tight ship over over there.

I take it your not located in Ohio. They probably flag out of state purchases that are not necessarily consistent with someone who is just passing through (ie, hotels, airplane, train tickets). 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 3 of 6
red259
Super Contributor

This topic is rather timely, because I just came across a situation where people were caught using fradulent credit cards. They didn't have the physical card of the person, but what they would do is create fake cards and electronically embed the credit card information of a real account in the back. Then they would go and buy gift cards to get the cash equivalents. So the fact this happened even though your card never leaves your wallet is not suprising. 

;
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I take it your not located in Ohio. They probably flag out of state purchases that are not necessarily consistent with someone who is just passing through (ie, hotels, airplane, train tickets). 

Right, i'm in CT, also probably true your statement about charges not consistent with travel. Thing is i own a cnc machine shop and make unique charges for tooling, materials, etc from all over the country, and other odd charges....None of which have ever been denied.

I'm honestly at a loss for words on how they selected that one charge and immediately denied it. It almost scares me. Keep in mind i make charges not associated with the metal working/manufacturing industrys at times also.

Message 5 of 6
red259
Super Contributor

I'm wondering if you had any other charges that you yourself put on that card earlier that day. Maybe they just looked at where you were when you last had a card charge and then the location of this charge and figured you could not have ventured that far in that short of a time?

;
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.