Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex - FEIN different than SSN?

tag
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

Amex - FEIN different than SSN?

It's been documented that American Express will only allow individuals to have four cards open at a time. At least with my existing business card, it was as a sole proprietor, using my SSN.

Does anyone know if I used a FEIN obtained later, would the FEIN be recognized differently?

Does anyone know if American Express will update an existing account to use the FEIN as its identifier verses the SSN, or if I would have to reapply using the FEIN?

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
peaceonearth
Established Contributor

Re: Amex - FEIN different than SSN?

@CreditUnionFan wrote:

It's been documented that American Express will only allow individuals to have four cards open at a time. At least with my existing business card, it was as a sole proprietor, using my SSN.

Does anyone know if I used a FEIN obtained later, would the FEIN be recognized differently?

Does anyone know if American Express will update an existing account to use the FEIN as its identifier verses the SSN, or if I would have to reapply using the FEIN?

I read a post yesterday,  the member has 5 AMEX personal cards.

Having more than 2 or 3 cards with AMEX makes no sense to me.

Message 2 of 3
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex - FEIN different than SSN?

@peaceonearth wrote:

@CreditUnionFan wrote:

I read a post yesterday,  the member has 5 AMEX personal cards.

Having more than 2 or 3 cards with AMEX makes no sense to me.

People with more than 4 cards were grandfathered in. They've issued several cards that have been discontinued, like the Zync and Optima.

Right now I have a few cards:

Blue Cash - old version that earns 5% after $6.5k on gas, groceries.

Blue Sky - not sure if I want to keep it, but it has a $13.2k CL that I have to wait till the 13th month to transfer to other card(s).

Blue - placeholder for ~45k MR points that I have no idea what to do with.

Simply Cash Biz - Buiness card for my sole proprietor business (without FEIN due to age of account)

I might app for the Costco TE card, for example.

When I was approved for the Blue Sky earlier this year, I had to agree to close the old Optima card which also had a bunch of MR points until I was savvy enough to transfer these onto the Blue card.

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.