Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone have experience with LegalZoom?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone have experience with LegalZoom?

After many setbacks, I think we're planning to open our grocery/deli on January 1 (fingers crossed!).  I'm thinking of going through LegalZoom to open our LLC.  Anyone here have any experience with them?  I got an email offering 15% off if filed through them.  I'm thinking it would be a good idea to form an LLC, even though it will be a one-owner business.  Any information or comments appreciated--thanks!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
CreditJim
Established Contributor

Re: Anyone have experience with LegalZoom?

I opened my first business with LegalZoom. It worked, but they lure you in with inexpensive prices and then charge extra for everything, especially by long setup times unless you pay more. I recently opened a second business, and I found a local attorney that specialized in setting up businesses. This was a far better option for me, he had everything up and running within 24 hours and took care of my questions himself. It was great having direct access to an actual attorney with in-depth knowledge of my state's laws. And I paid less than I would have on LegalZoom.

Quicksilver 51k | Discover It $45k | Bonvoy Business $38k | Lowe's $35k | Costco $33.5k | SWACU $30k | Ink Preferred $28k | USAA Rewards $25k | Ink Cash $22.5k | Ink Preferred $22k | Amex Blue Business Plus $17k | Freedom Flex $16k | Freedom $14k | CSR $10k | Amazon Store $10k | Amazon Business $3k | REI $3k
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow--that's just what I needed to know.  I heard through a friend about a local attorney who does this but I thought it would be so much more than Legal Zoom.  Now, I think I'll talk to this attorney first.  Thanks very much for your help!

Message 3 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow--that's just what I needed to know.  I heard through a friend about a local attorney who does this but I thought it would be so much more than Legal Zoom.  Now, I think I'll talk to this attorney first.  Thanks very much for your help!

[deleted]

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 4 of 10
CreditJim
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You're welcome. Good luck with your new business!

Quicksilver 51k | Discover It $45k | Bonvoy Business $38k | Lowe's $35k | Costco $33.5k | SWACU $30k | Ink Preferred $28k | USAA Rewards $25k | Ink Cash $22.5k | Ink Preferred $22k | Amex Blue Business Plus $17k | Freedom Flex $16k | Freedom $14k | CSR $10k | Amazon Store $10k | Amazon Business $3k | REI $3k
Message 5 of 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

I didn't have the time to do all the paperwork to form my business while working so I tasked the job to LegalZoom in 2010

Having had previous businesses I knew exactly what I wanted them to do which was basic service 

Search for name so as not to in fringe on others

File formal papers with the state 

The entire deal cost less that $300 and for my sanity and time not to have to go to office A for this and that and then be directed to office B, throw in gas and parking etc etc 

They served the purpose very well and I would recommend them to others providing like all things you do the homework and know what you want first....

The business was setup in 3 days and on the 4th I applied for my EIN# since its free no need to pay them for this service 

No need to have them function as "registered agent" as well 

Registered agent simple gets any correspondents via email pertaining to Corp filing dates from the state .....you can have your email listed or in my case I use my accountant since that and tax season run hand in hand .....taxes due April Corp filing May 

On a side note I looked into lawyers setting up my business and I'll be honest.....Sharks wanted upwards of 1k some more ......no offense Lol

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 6 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

I didn't have the time to do all the paperwork to form my business while working so I tasked the job to LegalZoom in 2010

Having had previous businesses I knew exactly what I wanted them to do which was basic service 

It takes me 5 seconds to "search" for a name

The entire deal cost less that $300

I'm skeptical. In most states the filing fees alone are in the neighborhood of $200. And a corporate minute book costs around $80. If you don't set up a corporate minute book properly, you wind up enabling your creditors to "pierce the corporate veil", defeating the whole purpose of incorporation

and for my sanity and time not to have to go to office A for this and that and then be directed to office B, throw in gas and parking etc etc 

What does that have to do with the legal services provided? My clients don't go anywhere, it's all email.

They served the purpose very well and I would recommend them to others providing like all things you do the homework and know what you want first....

The business was setup in 3 days

It only takes 24 hours, usually less; when I email certificate of incorporation to my corporate service bureau the corporation is formed within hours. If I do it early in the day, it's the same day.

and on the 4th I applied for my EIN# since its free no need to pay them for this service 

Registered agent simple gets any correspondents via email pertaining to Corp filing dates from the state .....you can have your email listed

Don't spread misinformation. The certificate of incorporation requires a snail mail address, in some states a physical snail mail address. No state allows email addresses.

or in my case I use my accountant since that and tax season run hand in hand .....taxes due April Corp filing May 

On a side note I looked into lawyers setting up my business and I'll be honest.....Sharks wanted upwards of 1k some more ......

No reason to disparage people... I charge substantially less than $1k by the way, including all fhe filing fees and disbursements, and that's true of thousands of lawyers. And my service includes minutes, bylaws, stock records, stock certificates, setting up minute book, none of which Legal Zoom does except to send useless boilerplate.

no offense Lol

None taken, except for your dumbass use of the word "Shark".

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

I'm skeptical. In most states the filing fees alone are in the neighborhood of $200. And a corporate minute book costs around $80. If you don't set up a corporate minute book properly, you wind up enabling your creditors to "pierce the corporate veil", defeating the whole purpose of incorporation

and for my sanity and time not to have to go to office A for this and that and then be directed to office B, throw in gas and parking etc etc 

What does that have to do with the legal services provided? My clients don't go anywhere, it's all email.

It only takes 24 hours, usually less; when I email certificate of incorporation to my corporate service bureau the corporation is formed within hours. If I do it early in the day, it's the same day.

and on the 4th I applied for my EIN# since its free no need to pay them for this service 

Registered agent simple gets any correspondents via email pertaining to Corp filing dates from the state .....you can have your email listed

Don't spread misinformation. The certificate of incorporation requires a snail mail address, in some states a physical snail mail address. No state allows email addresses.

or in my case I use my accountant since that and tax season run hand in hand .....taxes due April Corp filing May 

On a side note I looked into lawyers setting up my business and I'll be honest.....Sharks wanted upwards of 1k some more ......

No reason to disparage people... I charge substantially less than $1k by the way, including all fhe filing fees and disbursements, and that's true of thousands of lawyers. And my service includes minutes, bylaws, stock records, stock certificates, setting up minute book, none of which Legal Zoom does except to send useless boilerplate.

no offense Lol

SouthJamaica sounds like Taxi drivers telling consumers that Uber will get them killed

Message 8 of 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

no offense Lol

Wow I see you took offense to my post and my experience with the company.....Sorry about that but Wow Smiley Surprised

For you to question what I know I paid and got for my money ....well it is what it is ....I notice you didn't quote your pricing for reference points in 2 post now ....

Of course I bet you will now... Lol and let me guess under LegalZoom cost 

You can't beat their volume pricing I'm sure of that....  Please 

They're supplying Articles of Inc books, Corp seals, stock certificate....etc etc  

All of which I got with my order....of course seeing how they're probably buying in bulk and have contracts set up with printers and suppliers of said materials for thousands of daily use..

Beats a 10 business a month set up which might pay more for a Article of Inc book $80.00 (insert your reference quote of dumb ass here)

FYI you come off as pissed that LegalZoom being a Internet business is providing a cheaper service than you can ...

As to the SHARK term ....or would you prefer the more commonly used term SHYSTER?

Live with it ...oh well or better yet change the vast majority of the publics thinking (insert your reference quote of dumb ass here) by charging less Smiley Tongue

I didn't question your integrity in the slightest ....at least not you personally

However your not the only lawyer out there and quite frankly a lot tend to over charge and highly bill consumers by the hour for what you describe in this case as taking minutes to do... Point proven thanks 

$24.00 per hour beats those that charge $300.00 per hour.....for the same services for my $$$$$$$$$$$$$

FYI can't say it's still the case cause I don't work there however LegalZoom services are performed/reviewed by Lawyers too aren't they? Maybe they get paid by volume thus cutting into the public SHARKS/Shysters pockets ....SMH 

For those that can remain unbias and would like to see what LegalZoom charges and what you actually get for your money.....Smiley Very Happy

http://www.legalzoom.com/business/business-formation/inc-pricing.html

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 9 of 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

no offense Lol

SouthJamaica sounds like Taxi drivers telling consumers that Uber will get them killed

Lol didn't it .....straight out the gate Lol

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.