Established Contributor
IWOL

Anyone have the AMEX Buisness Centurion?

What are the benefits of the AMEX Business Centurion over the Platinum.

We have had the Platinum Card since 2009. We have a yearly spend of around 1.5 million on the card and I beleive our internal limit on the card is around $250k.

We had an FR from AMEX last year and submitted everything they asked and no problems.

My understnding is that the annual fee for the Centurion is $5k initial and $2500 each year after.

What other benefits does the Centurion offer that would make it worthwhile having over the Platinum and justify the annual fee.

I have read that you can get a free business or first class companion ticket but I would assume that that is only for a ticket you purchae at the full fair and not using points.

Since we are earning around 1.5 mill points per year we rarely purchase a full fair ticket.

Any reason to get this card? 

Established Contributor
IWOL

Re: Anyone have the AMEX Buisness Centurion?

Forgot to add: Is the Business Centurion application by invite only or can you request to apply?

Valued Contributor
ryanbush

I know a little but not a ton, it is considered by invite only but many people have been able to call up and get an invite.

The biggest benefits are airline status (US and Delta) as well as some hotel perks.

Not sure if it is different from personal by I believe there is also a 2500$ iniation fee which makes the first year AF 7500$ and it is also 2500/year for each AU if you get them a centurian card.  You can also get your users Platinum, Gold, or Green cards linked to the same account at reduced fees.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Senior Contributor
Open123

A few years ago, our firm (probably based on senior partner's relationship) was offered the business centurion.  

At the time, initiation fee was $7,500, and annual fee was $2,500.  Each additional business centurion would be $2,500, while each additional business Plat would be $300, and $45 for each additional business gold card.  It was by invitation only, and the business one was much easier to qualify for than the personal.

Our senior partner ended up declining the invitation for a "unique" reason.

Established Contributor
scenery_guy

Re: Anyone have the AMEX Business Centurion?

Don't ask us, ask AMEX. Your spend should be fine to get in. Just ring the number on the back of your Platinum and ask to be transferred to whoever deals with the Centurion card. You have the correct initiation and annual fees.

I have two clients who each have the business version. One got invite the other asked for an invite. Neither really care about the perks or the fees. Total ballers oblivious to the real world (or they live in the real world and we don't). I love the sound of one hitting the table to pay for my dinner. Excellent service when you are in the presence of one. I watched one of them hold a fancy restaurant open after hours with full kitchen staff and one waitress for our late dinner. No menu presented, he asked the chef to come tableside and discussed what we would be having based on what was in the kitchen. Best meal ever. No idea what it cost and he never looked at the check, just signed and added a very fat tip. Now I am getting envious so back to the real world...

Valued Contributor
ryanbush

scenery_guy wrote:

Don't ask us, ask AMEX. Your spend should be fine to get in. Just ring the number on the back of your Platinum and ask to be transferred to whoever deals with the Centurion card. You have the correct initiation and annual fees.

I have two clients who each have the business version. One got invite the other asked for an invite. Neither really care about the perks or the fees. Total ballers oblivious to the real world (or they live in the real world and we don't). I love the sound of one hitting the table to pay for my dinner. Excellent service when you are in the presence of one. I watched one of them hold a fancy restaurant open after hours with full kitchen staff and one waitress for our late dinner. No menu presented, he asked the chef to come tableside and discussed what we would be having based on what was in the kitchen. Best meal ever. No idea what it cost and he never looked at the check, just signed and added a very fat tip. Now I am getting envious so back to the real world...

Wow, sounds like the good life.  I would love to have a personal centurian, but even more importantly the finances to back it up! 

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Senior Contributor
Open123

ryanbush wrote:

scenery_guy wrote:

Wow, sounds like the good life.  I would love to have a personal centurian, but even more importantly the finances to back it up! 

In my view, the "personal" Centurian has more prestige and more difficult to attain, since it's based on personal consumption, unlike the business one.  For instance, I know a few Doctors who run all their medical practice's bills through Amex easily qualifying for the Black (this was in 07 when it was much easier to attain for the business one).  

Though their spend was high, it was comprised primarily of expenses such as insurance, lease, and capex spending.  Malpractice alone was about $200K for their practice--combined with lease and new xray machine, the annual spend was close to $750K.  

However, their "disposable" income wasn't nearly that high, and I'd estimate in the $200K range.  It isn't low, but certainly would pale in comparison to the disposable income on some of the personal Amex Black users out there.  $250K personal spending on luxuring and travel is not the same as the same amount in business expenditures.

Mega Contributor
Creditaddict

Amex has gone to "by request" at least once (during the 2008-10' range I believe) then went by invitation only.  and last check it was $7500 first year for first card.

I would mostly agree that I'm more impressed by a personal but Black is Black on Amex rather it shows Business in the background or not... When I worked at Neiman Marcus long long time ago I had a couple "famous" people and they typically run much of their stuff through a Business that most woud not know so that you don't physically get a name of star, etc. unless in person. (I'm tired, Can't decide if that makes sense at all)

Fico Scores: EQ 657 Cabelas, TU 662 Walmart, EX 699 Wells (07-27-14)
You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Navy Federal Cash Sigi Visa $50k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Express $300
Over 40 Cards in between :smileytongue:
Valued Contributor
ryanbush

Yeah there is no doubt the personal Centurian is harder to obtain, that's why I "want" one!

Established Contributor
scenery_guy

Just saw that AMEX opened a Centurion Lounge at Vegas airport. Free access with card and $50 if you have any other AMEX card. I'm headed to Vegas in a couple months for some work and I will check it out for $50 or try to fly with my client who has the Centurion and get in for free. 

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+