cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for Chase Ink+ even after exceeding 2/30 rule.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Approved for Chase Ink+ even after exceeding 2/30 rule.

Hi myFICO Forum!

I just want to say first off that since finding this treasure trove of information, great posts, and great members, I want to say I am very thankful for all of you! I will Definitely be sticking around. Also, i have felt a bond with those applicants and all the turmoil of waiting and calling the app status line (800-432-3117, hit #, 3, 1, social security #). I felt I just had to post to help my brethren and sisters through their waiting and provide some data points.

Now to my story:

So I'm getting engaged! I have been thinking of applying for credit cards for some time to help pay for an engagement trip for my girlfriend (she has word hard for 3 years straight without a legit vacation). So I have been doing research and have found that the Chase line of products will suit my spending and possible travel needs. I really don't need the lines of credit, I really just wanted the travel miles.

I set out to apply for the CSP and the Chase Freedom Unlimited.

August 9th:

I applied first at a Chase branch August 9th and got instant approved for CSP with $10,000 CL and expedited delivery. I asked if the branch if it would be wise to apply for a second card. They advised that Chase does not like applicants to apply for so many because it makes them appear desperate (I was... not for the credit, but for the TRAVEL BONUSES)

My FICO score from my BoA account said I was 787.

August 10th:

I decided to forgo the branch advice and applied for a Chase Freedom Unlimited at another branch before work. Again, instant approved for the Chase Freedom Unlimited for $10,000 CL and expedited shipping. At this point, I didn’t even consider the Chase Ink+. But doing some reading, it appeared that I really needed the Ink plus to really make my UR points sore as well as getting the AF covered.

I notice after these two apps my Credit Karma scores dropped a pinch: TU 777 and EQ 787

August 15th:

I decide to apply for Chase Ink Plus online. Keep in mind, I have a legitimate business and EIN. I figured this would be a cake walk… Boy was I wrong. Was given the usual Email (decision in 30 days). Phone application status line said 7-10 days for a response in writing. For the next 4 days, I keep calling the line and it kept saying 7-10 days for a response in writing… I was freaking out! I kept reading all the posts and how it could mean a good thing or a bad thing.

August 19th: 12:00pm

I received the denial letter at my business mail, it read: “Too many requests for credit or opened accounts with us”. It also said that I could call within 30 days if there is any information I could provide.

It’s funny how I don’t read about these things until after they happen. So I learn of the 2/30 rule and the 5/24 rule. I know that I am an AU on my girlfriend’s account for two cards: Chase Freedom and Quicksilver. I called to remove myself from Chase Freedom account. I feared that I may be close to 5/24 because of a personal line of credit I opened with a credit union in January of this year, new CSP, new Freedom Unlimited, and two AU!

August 19th: 12:15pm

I was floored… I really wanted the Ink+ so I called. I called that day to recon with the provided number (800-453-9719). The CSR was awesome! I small talked with him and laughed. But he said that he couldn’t do anything. I suggested moving lines of credit from my new personal accounts (CSP & CFU). He said, he couldn’t move personal credit to business credit. He advised that I call in 31 days after the first app (Aug 9th) and recon again. I hung up.

August 19th: 4:00pm

After I got out of work I called again. This guy was very helpful. I told him about my engagement and that I was purely using the card to get travel points for my soon to be fiancé. He said he would take a look at the app. Puts me on hold for 10 min. Comes back and says he will need to put me on hold because he will do a manual review. I said sure. Waited another 25 min. He returns and says that he does not have the authority to approve or make changes to the account and will send it up to a higher power and that I should hear back in 1-2 days.

August 19th: 10:00pm

Automated phone line changes it’s tone and says that it is still pending review and should hear back within 2 weeks!

August 20th: 8:00am

Automated phone says pending 2 weeks…

August 20th: 2:00pm

Automated line says APPROVED! With a $5,000 line of credit! WHAT?!?!?!

I am super stoked. Especially since I applied for 3 apps within 6 days! I presume personal and business lines make it easier to be the exception? Maybe my sob story? Who knows.

I just thought this LONG story would help someone out or at least provide some calming energy.

I do not have a personal or business bank account with Chase. I have had my own Chase Freedom card since 2012. I also have a BoA Cash Rewards.

Good luck to you all!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gingerflower
Valued Contributor

Re: Approved for Chase Ink+ even after exceeding 2/30 rule.

Congrats love the chase ink Cc👍
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Approved for Chase Ink+ even after exceeding 2/30 rule.

I can't wait to use it!!!
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.