Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best MR strategy...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best MR strategy...

I am not familiar with AMEX MRs.  I only use them for credit against statements on my wife's Blue Cash and I use them for gift cards on my Gold card, because the points on that card do not translate point for cent, the way it does on my wife's Blue Cash for statement credits.  I am very familiar with URs, but I'm wondering if there is a parallel strategy with MRs?  Any AMEX strategies out there or card combos that are be similar to Freedom/FU/Ink to CSP or CSR?  Can you combine MRs like you can URs? 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

Re: Best MR strategy...

I get huge value in MR. If it's your card(s) and you see them all on your login then they auto combine unlike Chase UR between Ink and CSP or the like. You can't share or combine yours and your wife's to the best of my knowledge. 

I find them very useful for transfer to travel partners. I routinely use them to top up accounts like Delta, Virgin Atlantic, BA, Hilton and Choice Hotels for awards. My latest use of them is purchasing airfare with the Travel with Points option - with the Platinum Business card when you pay with points and purchase on your selected airline linked to the card you get a nearly instant 50% rebate of points!

If you travel for business or have other travel reward accounts that need a few more points for an award MRs are a winner. 

Message 2 of 4
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Only way to combine MR's is when you transfer them out to the partners for example Delta you can transfer wife/yours/whomevers into one Delta account for example.  That is who you get around not being able to combine MR's

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree, transferring to Delta is a great value depending on how you book your flights.

I just barely figured out last night that you can do a search between all of Delta's alliance partners (Delta is part of SkyTeam) on the SkyTeam website, or through Alaska Airlines and find super cheap award bookings that way.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.