newbiz1

Building Credit SP vs inc/LLC

If one builds credit in/as a sole proprietorship can that credit be useful if one wishes to later incorporate?

I ask because I have a chance to build a sole proprietorship (as a consultant) with a specific vendor on a part time basis. I am fairly content that the income stream is secure. Occasionally I can see this having business costs (paper, pens, computers and such) I wondered about the pros/cons of trying to build business credit as a sole proprietor. I expect that all the costs would be less than what I'd be earning so I am grudgingly ok with opening a card with a personal guarantee. I just want to know if I could later use that (hopefully) good credit history when I later try to open a small LLC/Inc employing a few people that may have a less secure income stream. I was told that if one is making a 1 person LLC it's possible to keep the same EIN #. My dreams are a bit bigger than just 1 person though.

Established Contributor
compassion101

Re: Building Credit SP vs inc/LLC

You will need a new EIN if you incorporate as it is a seperate entity from the business you had as a sole proprietor. Not certain about creating an LLC but I don't think you would need a new one.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+