Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business AMEX: Gold, Platinum or Plum?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Business AMEX: Gold, Platinum or Plum?

I have a personal Green.

I'm looking at getting either a Gold, Platinum or this Plum thingy.  Not sure how important the 2 month buffer would be with the Plum and it has cash back instead of points.

Then there is the Gold (fee waived the first year) which has points that I can combine with my current batch.

but then there is the airport and ticket stuff  with the Platinum.

Guess I'm just fishing for input of each in the business sense lol.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: Business AMEX: Gold, Platinum or Plum?

Gold has the better sign-up offer.  50K MR points.  I think it was 75K today only.  Not sure if that ended at midnight.  Hefty spend requirement of $10K in 5 months, but if you can swing it, good offer.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I apped for the Gold Business, should get it Monday (unless they deliver this Saturday).

Perhaps I'll PC in a year to the Platinum before the annual fee comes due and just pay the Plat fee instead.  I gotta admit I'd prefer the Platinum with its perks lol.

Message 3 of 9
Guava
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Well I apped for the Gold Business, should get it Monday (unless they deliver this Saturday).

Perhaps I'll PC in a year to the Platinum before the annual fee comes due and just pay the Plat fee instead.  I gotta admit I'd prefer the Platinum with its perks lol.

I think with AMEX, the annual fee is included in your first statement. So you'd have to pay the Gold annual fee + the Platinum annual fee if you decided to PC later.

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

They told me the first Gold year is waived.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well it arrived today lol (UPS).

Definitely waived first year and the info on the card is wrong.

I did suspect it would be based on my conversation with Rasheed.

[innervoice] I'll fix it after I get it [/innervoice]

So now to activate and then CSR to fix with new card.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

All fixed with CSR and activated under my current profile.

I asked and the CSR said that I could PC to Plat at any time.  If I did after paying the Gold AF then the Plat AF would be pro-rated accordingly.

Message 7 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Does not matter anymore but I just saw this and thought I would comment anyway.

I got the Gold back in like 07 with all the bonus point stuff, Think it was 50k on open and then another 25 or 50k when I hit 25k spending and another bonus at either 50 or 75k annual spending... not for sure it's been so long.

When Plum first came out I got it but didn't close Gold and I was so glad I hadnt... you really have to look at what kind of spending you are going to have monthly and what kind of merchants.... because the original plum was 2% back if paid within 10 days and if over $5000 in charges for that month otherwise it was like .5 or 1% even if paid in 10 days... something else that I got bonus points on with Gold didn't count on Plum, so quickly switched back to the Gold and closed the Plum and they refunded annual fees.

So I think you made a good choice unless you do tons of traveling then Plat. would probably be better for you next year or sooner.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the plum. Honestly I rather have cash back that can come to me. The problem with the plum is that the statement credit stays in the company. For example my Plum discount this year is $1200.00 that was applied as statement credit. On my Chase Ink it is $1200 that I can get as a check from chase mailed to me personally. I plan on using that for my Christmas vacation along with my MR points ans Discover cash back.

If a pull the 1200 from my company it's considered taxable income.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.