Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business Credit Adventure (UPDATED)

tag
BizCreditHunter
New Contributor

Re: Business Credit Adventure (UPDATED)

You're right with the mixed-usage of the term gardening.  By gardening I'm just trying not to have a lot of hits to Equifax Business, Experian Business and D&B to give a creditor reason to deny us should we really need a new account.  We have had 23 inquiries showing on Experian SmartBusiness (counting since April 2017).  Our Experian Score has dropped to 87 just in the past 2 weeks (from 89), but was originally a 96 without all these accounts with balances.  I don't know if the recent requests for our report had an impact on that number.  Just hoping to provide our experience with our business credit profile.

Message 11 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

You've shared great information and it will help a lot of people!

"Business scores" as provided by EX and EQ are largely inconsequential for any real financing decisions.

My current EX score is 22Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 28
BizCreditHunter
New Contributor

inverse wrote: "Business scores" as provided by EX and EQ are largely inconsequential for any real financing decisions.

I agree.  It wasn't until some of my creditors asked to see my Bank Rating that I realized that a Bank Rating of 5 may be more important than the scores (EX/EQ) and Paydex.  But, do those scores help decision?  I have another company (S-Corp) that is a little older, it has low EX/EQ scores (EX:28), no Paydex, and I can't get an Amazon account for that company.  Strange, but I'm learning.  As I tell my brother, credibility is important (and I don't mean D&B "credibility).  By credibility I describe an established, mature, and healthy business, which should be able to establish terms with nearly any other business. 

I'm trying to discover what truly matters.  Hence our credit journey.

Message 13 of 28
iluvnola
Valued Member

Great info! Thanks for sharing!
Personal

Business

Scores:10/01/17 FICO 8 EQ 629 TU 626 EX 634
Scores:08/01/18 FICO 8 EQ 678 TU 731 EX 695

Scores:09/01/19 FICO 8 EQ 720 TU 730 EX 695

Scores:09/01/21 FICO 8 EQ 762 TU 767 EX 757
Goal Scores: 760+ ATB FICO 8

Message 14 of 28
BizCreditHunter
New Contributor

Interesting.  Our Experian Small Business Score jumped to a 95.  That's the highest I have seen it (since the 91 I saw last year).  Since the last update, we have obtained 2 comemrcial leases over $20K.  We also received a Lowes Acccount Receivable account at, what we asked for, $5,000.

Message 15 of 28
BizCreditHunter
New Contributor

We just launched a new business venture in the food service area, and decided to apply for the Sam's Club Business Mastercard.  They tried to run it without a PG, but since it's a new business with new EIN/TIN, we had to supply a personal guarantee.  We were instantly approved in store for $13K.  I hate that it's a PG, but we need it for this line of business.

Message 16 of 28
BizCreditHunter
New Contributor

Okay, so we decided to try for the Sam's Club Business Mastercard, for the business outlined in this thread, back in February.  We were given the 7-10 day notice at the store and received a denial letter in the mail. 

Yesterday, I looked at the business credit reports again.  Dun and Bradstreet: 79.  Experian Small Business: 95.  Equifax Small Business: CRS 422; Pay Index 100; FS 1400.  So that all looked good.  Higest reported line on Equifax was $6,000 with $25,000 total credit with $6K in use (mostly Amazon).  Went back into Sam's Club and did the application again (NO PG) with the same information provided (I used the PDF application to fill in).  They put it in, then they had to call in, as usual.  They were transferred three times and at one point they couldn't find the application because, mysteriously, the system used an old business number that we just disconnected. 

Finally, they put me on with the Verification department (which I now know that this means we are approved, but for what amount).  They called the number to verify the business and left a message.  I just happened to receive a text that I had a new message, just as the rep told me that I had 72 hours to call back with the information left on voicemail.  I played it over the phone and voila... business confirmed.

Was (instantly) approved for the Mastercard Account Type 1 (best APR) for $14,000.   That's NO PG (no personal guarantee).  A lot less than expected as we hoped for $20K+.  I wonder if there's any way to recon the limit before the cards come?

Message 17 of 28
Uniqua
Established Contributor

I thought you were instantly approved for $13k in store back in February?

Message 18 of 28
BizCreditHunter
New Contributor

@Uniquawrote:

I thought you were instantly approved for $13k in store back in February?

That was for a different line of business with a different TIN/EIN.  I had to PG that February card.

Message 19 of 28
BizCreditHunter
New Contributor

Just a few new datapoints as of today.

1. Experian Profile had an all-time high of 96 back in March 2017.  The Experian Profile now has a score of 97.
  2. Equifax Small Business: CRS 466; Pay Index 100; FS 1442.  Can't seem to move the needle too much.
  3. Can't seem to get PAYDEX over 79 (and we pay 15 days early).  Something is dragging us down.
  4. Equifax now shows $14,000 highest credit limit (that's the Sam's Club Business MC Type 1 w/ no PG)

Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.