Ink is by personal credit only!

Message 11 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Business Credit Card

@Creditaddict wrote:

That's good.  I'll be test driving that puppy pretty soon!  Smiley Happy

By the way, I recall people mentioning that with some business cards you can actually control what portion of the total credit limit an AU can access.  Any thoughts as to which exactly allow that? 

Message 12 of 27
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I know Citi you can do this and Discover... possibly amex

Message 13 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

By the way, I recall people mentioning that with some business cards you can actually control what portion of the total credit limit an AU can access.  Any thoughts as to which exactly allow that? 

Not sure if this answers your question fully, but I do know you can micro-manage employee cards under your main account with AMEX in setting their spending limits and caps.  

Message 14 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

Not sure if this answers your question fully, but I do know you can micro-manage employee cards under your main account with AMEX in setting their spending limits and caps.  

Thanks!

I'm hoping to find a card from a financial institution a little more emotionally and mentally stable than AmEx, but if push comes to shove there may be no other option.  I'll talk to Nationwide, Chase and a few others first.

Message 15 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks!

I'm hoping to find a card from a financial institution a little more emotionally and mentally stable than AmEx, but if push comes to shove there may be no other option.  I'll talk to Nationwide, Chase and a few others first.

Pardon me, but I think you have the whole thing reversed.  I am a business owner and personal user of both AmEx and Chase.  In my experience, I would not eschew AmEx like you're planning on doing in favor of the other two institutions.  I believe you are basing your experiences with AmEx on online horror stories and consumer reports, some which are justified but you don't know the whole story......in fact many of my colleagues that are scared of AmEx brought it down on themselves with poor credit management and history.

AmEx is probably one of the more emotionally and mentally stable companies out there, despite the fact that they've been pulling back on risky accounts and having their computers auto-slash credit lines (like virtually all other card companies).  If you treat them well, they will treat you very well back.  This means never even thinking about paying an AmEx card late, PIF all the time, and not abusing/recycling rewards programs.  AmEx has tripled my revolving business credit card and helped me obtain a Business Green card - all in one day with no declines - just a brief conversation with an underwriter about my business and a review of my spending habits.  None of my AmEx cards have had FR or were stuck with "surprise declines" ever.

I own three Amex cards, a Mastercard, and four Visas.  Out of them all, I use the AmEx cards primarily and the rest for backup in case the merchant doesn't accept AmEx.  As a business and personal AmEx card user, I have never had a major problem with them, and all minor issues were cleared up quickly with a phone call or email.  If you're a serious business owner, I wouldn't write-off AmEx just yet.  If you read the horror stories about Chase credit services, you'll see why AmEx shouldn't get the award for least "emotionally stable."

Message 16 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks!

Pardon me, but I think you have the whole thing reversed.  I am a business owner and personal user of both AmEx and Chase.  In my experience, I would not eschew AmEx like you're planning on doing in favor of the other two institutions.  I believe you are basing your experiences with AmEx on online horror stories and consumer reports, some which are justified but you don't know the whole story......in fact many of my colleagues that are scared of AmEx brought it down on themselves with poor credit management and history.

AmEx is probably one of the more emotionally and mentally stable companies out there, despite the fact that they've been pulling back on risky accounts and having their computers auto-slash credit lines (like virtually all other card companies).  If you treat them well, they will treat you very well back.  This means never even thinking about paying an AmEx card late, PIF all the time, and not abusing/recycling rewards programs.  AmEx has tripled my revolving business credit card and helped me obtain a Business Green card - all in one day with no declines - just a brief conversation with an underwriter about my business and a review of my spending habits.  None of my AmEx cards have had FR or were stuck with "surprise declines" ever.

I own three Amex cards, a Mastercard, and four Visas.  Out of them all, I use the AmEx cards primarily and the rest for backup in case the merchant doesn't accept AmEx.  As a business and personal AmEx card user, I have never had a major problem with them, and all minor issues were cleared up quickly with a phone call or email.  If you're a serious business owner, I wouldn't write-off AmEx just yet.  If you read the horror stories about Chase credit services, you'll see why AmEx shouldn't get the award for least "emotionally stable."

You must be confused.

There are a multitude of well-document cases of unfounded AmEx FR brought on by nothing more than the AmEx pea-brained idea that it is somehow a crime to pay an attorney with an AmEx card or shop at, for example, Wal-Mart.  Who in their right mind is going to say that one paying an attorney $2,000 with their AmEx card has "brought it down on themselves" when hit with a FR on an account that has not only a perfect history, but also enough credit limit left to buy a house?  Or spending $137 at Wal-Mart? 

Chase and the likes have yet to start hitting people with FRs on the scale that AmEx is infamous for.  With Chase et al. will CLD and close account in a blink, but nobody has yet found they will do that based on where you shop or which city you happen to be visiting; it is virtually always because of how an account holder has chosen to manage their account.  That doesn't worry me.

I have had AmEx for decades and overall they are not bad.  However, in my particular occupation I am not willing to suffer being made to look like a deadbeat moron in front of colleagues and associates when my AmEx card comes back declined at dinner because an AU happened to use their card to pay a speeding ticket.  And, yes, we all know when the waiter brings your friend's card back and asks for another, no matter how many times the waiter proffers the excuse that "It must be the magnetic stripe, sir,"  it's a code that really means either stop using cards you have stolen or learn to pay your debts on time. 

I forget who to credit with this concept contained in their sig, but I do not need to add AUs to a card that suffers from PMS.  If I am going to put my image on the line by making several critical associates an AU on a business card, it will be one issued by a company that doesn't use an ouija board or call 1 (800) PSY-CHIC to determine when to FR. 

Message 17 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I finally applied for the Nationwide Business Platinum.  I entered my P.O. Box without realizing it, so I got a letter saying they need my physical address.  I hope that since they are at least asking for more information, I might actuallly get approved for it.

Just FYI.

Message 18 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

While I respect your opinion of AMEX, I still will question your fears of an FR or sudden decline by AMEX based off of "well documented cases" of declines occurring when purchases are made outside of normal spending habits.  I have read these horror stories too on the internet, and I can count them on my fingers.  However, how many of these people complaining actually represent the majority of the AMEX cardmember base (millions of people nationwide?).
I have read the unfair practices put on by AMEX before, but they're not alone with their over-conservative behavior.  I will attest again that while there are websites that bitch and moan about AMEX (and many, many other companies), I have not yet one consumer of business owner in my state who has had a negative experience with them.  I've also placed some questionable charges on my AMEX Business Green card and they sailed through authorization in a pinch.
The people getting nailed and FRed may not be telling the whole story, it's the internet, after all.  We know that AMEX hates seeing personal debt on your credit.  There are lots of people I know who pay their credit cards off every month but carry six figure mortgage debt under their names because they bought tons of real estate during the housing bubble with NINJA loans and assumed the cash flow would cover the debt service every month.  While they may be responsible with their personal card use, AMEX has no way of verifying if the $900,000 of mortgage debt under their name is going to swallow them whole next month or not, so of course they'll err on the safe side by hitting the cardmember with an FR or other type of verification process.

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks!

You must be confused.

There are a multitude of well-document cases of unfounded AmEx FR brought on by nothing more than the AmEx pea-brained idea that it is somehow a crime to pay an attorney with an AmEx card or shop at, for example, Wal-Mart.  Who in their right mind is going to say that one paying an attorney $2,000 with their AmEx card has "brought it down on themselves" when hit with a FR on an account that has not only a perfect history, but also enough credit limit left to buy a house?  Or spending $137 at Wal-Mart? 

Chase and the likes have yet to start hitting people with FRs on the scale that AmEx is infamous for.  With Chase et al. will CLD and close account in a blink, but nobody has yet found they will do that based on where you shop or which city you happen to be visiting; it is virtually always because of how an account holder has chosen to manage their account.  That doesn't worry me.

I have had AmEx for decades and overall they are not bad.  However, in my particular occupation I am not willing to suffer being made to look like a deadbeat moron in front of colleagues and associates when my AmEx card comes back declined at dinner because an AU happened to use their card to pay a speeding ticket.  And, yes, we all know when the waiter brings your friend's card back and asks for another, no matter how many times the waiter proffers the excuse that "It must be the magnetic stripe, sir,"  it's a code that really means either stop using cards you have stolen or learn to pay your debts on time. 

I forget who to credit with this concept contained in their sig, but I do not need to add AUs to a card that suffers from PMS.  If I am going to put my image on the line by making several critical associates an AU on a business card, it will be one issued by a company that doesn't use an ouija board or call 1 (800) PSY-CHIC to determine when to FR. 

Message 19 of 27
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

WOW everyone on bashing Amex.

I have had a multitude of CLD and APR increases with Amex and I would still say they are the best.  I don't believe it when someone says they used there card at Walmart and then the next day they were in financial review or they paid a speeding ticket and then out at dinner and card was declined.... There is always a bigger picture, a bigger picture which most people do not want to share when they are mad that something bad happened to them.

Yes Amex will sometimes make decisions on your account that you may not know of right away but as of late they send an e-mail the second they do something negative to your account and who does not have there e-mail coming to there cell phone these days.

I have never been declined because of out of ordinary spending or because I was 15 miles outside my house zip code... but try spending 10k on a Chase or Citi card in one day and you are going to be declined left and right.

I'm sorry for the few that some of my statements will not be true but to black label a whole company with millions of cardholders to a few exceptionally bad experiences is just silly.

you treat amex the way they were meant to be treated and you probably will not have any problems. pay in full, if you carry balance, pay it off in less then 3 months, etc.

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.