Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business Line of Credit

tag
bclay
Valued Member

Business Line of Credit

My husband and I are in the process of trying to get a line of credit for our business. We have cash flowed for five years and it is now time to work on a line of credit.  We have met with a couple of Banks recenlty who have had plenty of questions for us, .  I am wondering what questions should we be asking them?  We don't want to seem desperate we want them to want our business?  Any advice??

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Business Line of Credit

I would ask if they maintain their own portfolio, and if they plan to continue to do so. Back in 2001 I setup a $25K LOC through Microsoft Capital. The terms were 7.9% APR, and 5% minimum payment. In 2005 they sold the portfolio, and the terms jumped to 19.9% and 10% minimum payment. Caught me completely off guard and resulted in a rapid decline in my credit because I couldn't keep up.

Message 2 of 6
redpat
Senior Contributor

@bclay wrote:

My husband and I are in the process of trying to get a line of credit for our business. We have cash flowed for five years and it is now time to work on a line of credit.  We have met with a couple of Banks recenlty who have had plenty of questions for us, .  I am wondering what questions should we be asking them?  We don't want to seem desperate we want them to want our business?  Any advice??

Please call your accountant and see if he has any recommendation.  Commercial lending is relationship based and if you have good credit a bank in your area should be able to help.  Rates should be no more than 1% over prime.  

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 3 of 6
bclay
Valued Member

Hi @redpat.  We did contact our CPA and he gave us two smaller banks to contact.  We have recieved one proposal back with a rate of prime +2% (variable) on $100,000 loc.  The maturity is 1 year and then they decided if they want to extend credit the following year, if not the note becomes due immediateley.  So we have to treat it very carefully.  I assuming the other bank will have the same propasal.  I am just not sure what bank to go with? 

Message 4 of 6
redpat
Senior Contributor

@bclay wrote:

@Anonymous @redpat.  We did contact our CPA and he gave us two smaller banks to contact.  We have recieved one proposal back with a rate of prime +2% (variable) on $100,000 loc.  The maturity is 1 year and then they decided if they want to extend credit the following year, if not the note becomes due immediateley.  So we have to treat it very carefully.  I assuming the other bank will have the same propasal.  I am just not sure what bank to go with? 

Credit lines are renewed annually.  Usually if you re in good standing and use your line the way it should be used, i.e. not buying fixed assets and is 0 for a 30 day period you shouldn't have a problem on renewal.  If the line is maxed out near the renewal date then they may require you to term-out the loan, this is condsidered "evergreen".

I would wait until you have the other banks proposal and then you can negotiate between the two of them.  Rates can be negotiated and I would suggest on 1% over prime and see what they come back at, I'm estimating you may get 1.25% - 1.50%.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's a fairly simple process.

We have also had our business for five years and have decided to expand the business.  We applied for a business LOC with the bank that we do our business and personal banking with and were approved a few days later.  We were required to submit business and personal tax returns for two years and a year to date P&L along with the application and a personal financial statement.  As others have mentioned the LOC is renewed annually.  It can also receive automatic increases in the credit line on an annual basis or we can request a credit line increase.  It's at a fixed rate of 5.39% and is billed interest only on the first of the month.  Principle payments can be made at any time.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.