Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSR vs Ink plus

tag
red259
Super Contributor

CSR vs Ink plus

The AF hit on my ink plus (maybe its my ink bold) and I am trying to decide what to do. I don't see much incentive to pay the AF on both of these cards. I believe if I downgrade the plus I will have all the same benefits and only lose the ability to transfer to partners which I still have from the CSR. The CSR AF won't hit for several more months. The ink card has an AF of $95, but does not come with priority pass lounge membership or other perks of the CSR. Given the changes to the prestige I will be likely dumping that card next month, so I figure I will likely need to hold on to the CSR in order to keep lounge access (also I use the CSR for restaurant spend and travel spend bonus). Using the $300 travel credit is simple so it amounts to an AF of $150. Am I missing something in my calculations? 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CSR vs Ink plus

@red259 wrote:

The AF hit on my ink plus (maybe its my ink bold) and I am trying to decide what to do. I don't see much incentive to pay the AF on both of these cards. I believe if I downgrade the plus I will have all the same benefits and only lose the ability to transfer to partners which I still have from the CSR. The CSR AF won't hit for several more months. The ink card has an AF of $95, but does not come with priority pass lounge membership or other perks of the CSR. Given the changes to the prestige I will be likely dumping that card next month, so I figure I will likely need to hold on to the CSR in order to keep lounge access (also I use the CSR for restaurant spend and travel spend bonus). Using the $300 travel credit is simple so it amounts to an AF of $150. Am I missing something in my calculations? 

The only reason to keep the ink cards past their sign-up bonuses would be for business expenses, such as office supplies. This is because of the 5x back (valuing UR at ~2c per point that means ~10% back) on those expenses. If you are not utilitizng this benefit, there is no reason that I can see to hang onto this card while also having the CSR. The CSR will provide you with all of the best perks/benefits.

Generally I only see people getting the ink cards for two reasons: They generally have big UR sign-up bonuses and/or they have a lot of business expenses that fall under the 5x category. 

Message 2 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@red259 wrote:

I don't really understand the question. One is for business. One is for personal.

Why not have both so that the UR points can come in from 2 different directions?

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@red259 wrote:

I don't really understand the question. One is for business. One is for personal.

Why not have both so that the UR points can come in from 2 different directions?

My perception of the OP was that he had an Ink for personal use (probably the sign-up bonus), and didn't know if he/she should keep it as a personal card.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

As your question mainly pertains to the Ink Plus, moved to business credit.

Message 5 of 9
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@red259 wrote:

My perception of the OP was that he had an Ink for personal use (probably the sign-up bonus), and didn't know if he/she should keep it as a personal card.

No no no. There seems to be a lot of confusion here. I use the ink cards for business expenses. You don't need to pay the AF on both cards to be able to transfer to travel partners. My understanding is if I downgrade the ink card I still have all the categories for x5 spending. If that is not correct someone please let me know now, since that is important to me. The question is really if there is any reason to pay the AF on both cards if I have the CSR. 

;
Message 6 of 9
red259
Super Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@red259 wrote:

You can keep both cards without paying two AFs by downgrading one. 

;
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you downgrade the Ink Plus to the Ink Cash you still have 5X cashback at office supply, cable/internet and telephone services.

Message 8 of 9
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you downgrade the Ink Plus to the Ink Cash you still have 5X cashback at office supply, cable/internet and telephone services.

Ok that is what I thought. I guess I will downgrade the ink plus then since I will probably keep the csr going forward anyway. 

;
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.